£3.5m High Street investment

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

£3.5m High Street investment

Bangor regeneration – work to start in the new year

The next phase of the £3.5 million project by Gwynedd Council and its partners to revitalise the city of Bangor will get underway in the new year.

The scheme has been funded through the Assembly Government’s £38 million North Wales Regeneration Scheme delivered in partnership with local councils and part financed by the European Regional Development Fund through the Welsh Assembly Government.

Workshops held with a number of key local groups, including the city’s retailers, access groups and schools showed that the main local priorities were to improve the appearance of the High Street and the Tan y Fynwent area. The re-surfacing work in the High Street which will start in January, will include a timeline illustrating significant dates in Bangor’s history, which will run from the Cathedral area down as far as Dean Street.

Councillor Dewi Llewellyn, who chairs Gwynedd Council’s Bangor improvement steering group said: “As a Council, we are committed to doing everything we can to promote our local companies and high street shops and these improvements will ensure that the Bangor city centre is stronger than ever.

“The improvements which will get underway in the new year are based on what local people and traders have told us they want to see, and we firmly believe that when complete the changes will help to revitalise the Bangor city centre.”

Deputy Minister for Housing and Regeneration Jocelyn Davies added:

“Enhancing the overall appearance of Bangor, which is such and important city in North West Wales, will create a better environment for local people, businesses, visitors and potential investors.

“This scheme will greatly benefit the surrounding communities by improving facilities and increasing employment opportunities which will boost economic prosperity across the region as well as boosting residents’ pride in the area.”

Welsh company Dawnus have been appointed to carry out the improvements. The work will be carried out in phases, with phase 1 - the Cathedral to the Clock Tower, phase 2 - from the Clock Tower to Dean Street and phase 3 - the area around the Clock Tower. The last phase, which will be carried out in 2012, will be the Tan y Fynwent area.

Details of the plans, together with information on the programme, will be on show at in the Deiniol Centre in the former Paperway shop (next door to Clinton Cards) on Thursday, 2 December from 11am to 4pm. The Council will be contacting local businesses to inform them of when the work will be starting, and contact details and information on traffic management proposals will be on display, as well as information on the website: www.gwynedd.gov.uk/BangorPublicRealm

Dafydd Wyn Williams, Gwynedd Council’s Chief Engineer Transportation and Street Care noted: “Next year is going to be a busy one in Bangor with all these exciting projects. We appreciate that there will be disruption to residents, traders and shoppers whilst the work is going on and we are grateful for everyone’s patience.”
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: £3.5m High Street investment

Gwynedd Council will also pay upto £1000 to help businesses improve there shop frontage...

Application Form
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/bpr/grants_4_3407335619.pdf

Guidance Notes
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/bpr/grants_4_432814482.pdf
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

High Street Timeline

The timeline is made up of etched text panels and bronze roundels set in slate slabs noting significant dates in Bangor’s history

Project Co-ordinator Pat Jones, for Gwynedd Council
Artist David Mackie
Dawnus Construction the main contractor
Installed 2012

timeline.pdf
Dave Dave

Re: High Street Timeline

They are also currently doing the square outside Hen Glan / Memorial Arch. Didn't realise that was part of the public realm development. Any idea what is going there? It was one of the parts of Bangor I thought was really nice and didn't need doing up!

Hopefully what they're doing is some sort of proper square in front of Pontio so that outdoor events can be held there. But I've heard nothing!
matt2 matt2

Re: High Street Timeline

It is being done by Dawnus the same contractors.

The area was listed in the initial proposal as the link to deiniol road and the university. Shown in this document

BangorPublicRealmStrategySummaryENGLISHPartOneBaselineReview.pdf
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: High Street Timeline

That said Dawnus are doing all the hardscape Council works as part of a 4 year contract, so this might be improvements beyond the 'Public Realm' scheme itself? or utilising some underspend?

http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/archive/7307-gwynedd-picks-dawnus-for-public-realm-framework.html

No here it is...

The Surfacing Strategy...

BangorENGLISH31waysurfrace.pdf