YHA Youth Hostel Association in Bangor

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

YHA Youth Hostel Association in Bangor

This post was updated on .

The 70 bed Tan-Y-Bryn site in Bangor closed in 2009, YHA chiefs deeming the estimated £400,000 required for a revamp to be unrecoupable.

Selling for around £550,000

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: YHA Youth Hostel Assosiation in Bangor

This post was updated on .
Gorad Y Gyt, the previous YHA hostel (http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/ads.htm)

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: YHA Youth Hostel Association in Bangor

Tan Y Bryn
c1810 built by Dean Cotton

James Henry Cotton (February 10, 1780 – May 28, 1862), was a clergyman and educationist who held the position of Dean of Bangor from 1838 until his death and was instrumental in the restoration of Bangor Cathedral.

He was the son of George Cotton, Dean of Chester, and the first cousin of Sir Stapleton Cotton. He was educated at Rugby School and Trinity College, Cambridge, and ordained shortly after graduating. By 1810 he was junior vicar and precentor of Bangor Cathedral, and as such was responsible for the fabric of the building. In the same year he married Mary Anne Majendie, daughter of the Bishop of Bangor; they had one son. During the 1820s, the cathedral was restored and rearranged to allow for services in both Welsh and English.

Cotton took a great interest in local education, setting up Sunday schools and day schools in several parishes within the diocese. In 1848 he was a founder member of the Bangor Diocesan Board of Education, formed after the notorious "Blue Books". After the death of his first wife, he married Mary Laurens. The younger of their two daughters married Evan Lewis, later Dean of Bangor. Dean Cotton was buried in Bangor Cathedral.

http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/cotton/s1.htm (the Dean)
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/dog/index.htm (the lodge to the house)
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: YHA Youth Hostel Association in Bangor

Emilius Alexander Young, a former London Accountant and here Penrhyns Quarry Manager, lived in Tan Y Bryn. He was in post during the Great Strike between 1900 and 1903. Two sons of his died in WWI
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: YHA Youth Hostel Association in Bangor

Tan-Y-Bryn site in Bangor bought by Bangor-based businessmen Nick Pritchard, Geraint Chamberlain and Manchester-based Harvey Sutton

http://www.theonlinemail.co.uk/bangor-and-anglesey-news/where-i-live/bangor-news/2009/10/21/plans-to-expand-bangor-hostel-66580-24972503/

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: YHA Youth Hostel Association in Bangor

Hi Norman

The two answers are more or less the same...

1. "Gyt or cyt is used colloquially of a canal - from the English "cut" used in the same sense"

2. Cored/gored is 'argae i ddal pysgod' - a dam to catch fish, so effectively a weir - and that the English 'gut' can mean a channel (as in gutter) - so more or less 'the weir channel'.

It's a very old name - there are references to 'Gored Gitt' in 1610 and Gauell Hogytt in 1352 - and a use in a 16th century poem: 'aed i nofio y môr ar led / a gochel kored fangor'

Hope that helps / is of interest

All the best
Matt

---------------------------

Subject: Welsh Translation
Message: Can any of your members please translate \'Gorad-y-gyt\' into English for me. [I stayed at the Gorad-y-gyt Youth Hostel as a 14 year-old boy cyclist in 1957]

With my rather limited Welsh, I\'ve found out that \'Gorad\' means \'Fish-weir\', but I can\'t find a meaning for \'Gyt\' (or \'Cyt\').
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: YHA Youth Hostel Association in Bangor

Vintage YHA Badge BANGOR Black & White Youth Hostel Badge

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: YHA Youth Hostel Association in Bangor

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: YHA Youth Hostel Association in Bangor