WW11 momuments Bangor Cathederal

Luned Luned

WW11 momuments Bangor Cathederal

Greetings, I am researching the families of Hughes, Roberts, Rowlands & Griffiths of Anglesey and of the Roberts who moved to the slate quarries in the parish of Llanddeiniolen near Bangor in the early 1900s.

I am particlarly interested to know if anyone knows of or can point me in the direction of finding out of a WW11 memorial to two Roberts brothers in Bangor Cathederal?
I am on a grand tour of discovery, which of the family tales are true or not.

It's great fun and on the way discovering a wealth of information on the social structure of Anglesey in the 19th century.

Grateful thanks to anyone who can assist.
Kind regards,

Luned in Tasmania
David Price David Price

Re: WW11 momuments Bangor Cathederal

The Cathedral memorial has the names of 200 or so Bangor men who were killed in WWI. If you give me their names I'll soon send you the details.

Regards

David Price
Luned Luned

Re: WW11 monuments Bangor Cathedral

Thank you David for the offer of help.
I believe they may have been Robert H Roberts b 1904 & Hugh Rowland Roberts b 1905, a little old I'd have thought but the family story was that Aunti Maggi lost several sons in the war and there was a memorial in the cathedral. I have finally found Aunti Maggi & husband Robert at Galt y Foel, Cwm y Glo.
Here's crossing fingers!
Have just noticed a rash of spelling mistakes ooooops.
cheers
Luned in Tasmania
David Price David Price

Re: WW11 monuments Bangor Cathedral

Sorry, Luned, there's no trace of those names in Bangor Cathedral's memorials. Were there any family links with Bangor? Perhaps you should look for memorials in the parishes of Llanberis, Llanrug and Llanddeiniolen - or find the date and place of their deaths on Ancestry.com.

Regards

David
Luned Luned

Re: WW11 monuments Bangor Cathedral

Much appreciated David, I will look into your suggestions. Bang goes another family story but I love the chase!
Hywyn Williams Hywyn Williams

Re: WW11 monuments Bangor Cathedral

Luned

They are not on the War Memorial at Deiniolen. They are too young to be WW1 casualties. There are plenty of brothers on the WW1 list but no Roberts ones. Usually there is a smidgin of truth in these family lores and it may have somehow got mixed up over the years. Maybe Auntie Maggies brothers? If you want to provide the address at Gallt y Foel (her maiden name if you know it) we'll see if we can bottom it out for you.

In case you didn't know Gallt y Foel is the hillside linking the villages of Deiniolen and Dinorwig.

In the era you refer the postal address was Cwm y Glo RSO (Rural Sorting Office)

Cwm y Glo itself is an entirely different village.

Also, just to confuse matters, the village now known as Deiniolen was known as Ebenezer up to beginning of 1900s

Hywyn Williams
rod willis rod willis

Re: WW11 momuments Bangor Cathederal

Dear David we see that you were kind enough to look up a name on the WW11 monuments in Bangor cathedral and we wonder if you could check to see if anyone with the surname of Deacon is listed,
  yours faithfully
       rod willis
David Price David Price

Re: WW11 momuments Bangor Cathederal

There is no specific WW2 memorial in Bangor Cathedral, but eight names were added to the Sons of the Clergy memorial and the name Deacon is not among them.  Nor is it on the City of Bangor memorial at Glanrafon, Bangor.  Was he living in Bangor in 1939?

Regards

David
MR MAGHOO MR MAGHOO

Re: WW11 momuments Bangor Cathederal

Hi Luned.....found this on the CWGC site. Not sure whether he is yours.

Name: ROBERTS, RICHARD H.
Initials: R H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Engineer Officer
Regiment/Service: Merchant Navy
Unit Text: S.S. Scotia (London)
Age: 53
Date of Death: 01/06/1940
Additional information: Son of Richard and Martha Roberts; husband of Gwladys Roberts, of Holyhead, Anglesey.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 93.
Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL
MR MAGHOO MR MAGHOO

Re: WW11 momuments Bangor Cathederal

And this one...........

Name: ROBERTS, HUGH RICHARD
Initials: H R
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment/Service: South Wales Borderers
Unit Text: 5th Bn.
Age: 25
Date of Death: 05/12/1940
Service No: 4191467
Additional information: Son of John and Elizabeth Roberts, of Holyhead; husband of Mary Roberts, of Holyhead.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. 2. Grave 798.
Cemetery: HOLYHEAD (MAESHYFRYD) BURIAL BOARD CEMETERY