WW1 Railway Memorial.

Hywyn Williams Hywyn Williams

WW1 Railway Memorial.

Does anyone have photos of the Railway Memorial situated in St David's Church please?

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.51511/fromUkniwmSearch/1

Actually any WW1 memorial in that Church.

Would I be right in thinking that this is from the Railway Intitute or is that a separate Memorial?

Thanks

Hywyn Williams
Hywyn Williams Hywyn Williams

Re: WW1 Railway Memorial.

I've just noticed that there was a page 2 on the results of the site I linked to.

I'm also interested in getting a photo of the one in St Mary's

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.7010/fromUkniwmSearch/1

That one provides a Regiment. Sadly the main Memorial is Surname, Initial only which doesn't lend itself to conclusive searching on CWGC.

(I've got the Cathedral, RGA, Port Penrhyn -Hirael S Inst, UCNW ones and thanks to this excellent site access to Cofeb y Dewrion and the Memorial Arch. Would be interested in photos of any others eg Chapel ones if anyone has them.)

Hywyn
David Price David Price

Re: WW1 Railway Memorial.

Inside the entrance porch of the Memorial Arch, there are several memorials that have been placed there in recent years from local chapels that have closed.  I'll try to photograph them if the arch is open on Remembrance Sunday.

The memorial from Capel Tabernacl, Garth Road is now in the Upper Room of the arch.

David
hywyn williams hywyn williams

Re: WW1 Railway Memorial.

Diolch David

Appreciated.

Hywyn
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: WW1 Railway Memorial.

Just for anyone else reading this, the memorials in the Arch are now also available on this site...

http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/archmems.htm

David Price David Price

Re: WW1 Railway Memorial.

At long last, I've managed to photograph the two WW1 memorials at St David's Church.

The Lady Chapel, on the south side of the chancel, was furnished as a memorial chapel and has a grey marble tablet on the north side of the sanctuary, commemorating the fallen of the parish.  At that time, the parish extended from the Glanadda/ Caernarfon Road area up to Penrhosgarnedd and Treborth.

St David's was often described as 'the railwaymen's church' and on the west wall is a black marble tablet erected by the Bangor Railway Institute Boys Corps.  Both memorials include the names of C.A. and J.D. Cooil, from a notable railway family and brothers of Elsie Chamberlain, Bangor's first woman mayor.

My photos are not as sharp as I would like as I didn't have a tripod with me.
David Price David Price

Re: WW1 Railway Memorial.

I've tried to adjust the image with Photoshop to make the names more legible.
Hywyn Williams Hywyn Williams

Re: WW1 Railway Memorial.

Thanks David. Very useful.

Hywyn
I've tried to adjust the image with Photoshop to make the names more legible.

http://bangor-civic-society-message-board-forum.2217623.n2.nabble.com/WW1-Railway-Memorial-tp5689468p7572829.html
To unsubscribe from WW1 Railway Memorial., click here.
NAML