Treborth Hall

Esther Esther

Treborth Hall

Hello
Does anyone know any of the history of Treborth Hall?  I can't seem to find anything at all on the web, would really appreciate any info (just interested).  Also, the original purpose of the houses built just in front of it.
Thanks!
David Price David Price

Re: Treborth Hall

Hi Esther

Treborth Hall was built 1871-2 for Richard Davies, M.P.,  a prosperous trader and ship-owner, and a great supporter of the Calvinistic Methodists.  It was built on the old Treborth Isaf estate.  It's ages since I've been up close to the Hall and I can't remember the houses that you mention. Are they 20th century
buildings or earlier?

Regards

David
Esther Esther

Re: Treborth Hall

Thanks David.

Having spoken to a couple of people, I am fairly certain the houses were built for teachers to live in when the school at Treborth was residential.  They are modern (ish!) houses, I think only one or two are actually lived in now though.  The whole place is looking a bit dilapidated to be honest - the main hall itself but also all the grounds and buildings around it.

Best wishes

Esther
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Treborth Hall

You may have hit on these, but thought I'd include my internet trawl

--------------1852-------------

Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical Society: (Trafodion), Volumes 24-26
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ox0JAQAAIAAJ&q=%22treborth+hall%22&dq=%22treborth+hall%22&hl=en&ei=SfY5TMrRJ4K78gbw0LimBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBDge

Signs of revolt, however, were not lacking, for as early as the election of 1852, Richard Davies, of Treborth Hall, a leading Nonconformist and local business man, who later won Anglesey for Liberalism, had challenged the long and ..

------------1890s------------------

Bye-gones, relating to Wales and the Border Counties
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BtUvAAAAMAAJ&q=%22treborth+hall%22&dq=%22treborth+hall%22&hl=en&ei=bPE5TPeMO-K0nAe0rviNBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAQ

Snippet from above...

1895
Probate of the will, dated May 11, 1894, of Mr Richard Davies of Treborth Hall, Bangor, Lord Lieutenant of Anglesey, has been granted to his widow, Mrs Annie Davies, sons (Messrs John Robert Davies, Henry Rees Davies, Richard Lloyd ..

-------------1925---------------------

XD2/14596
http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/DATRhagorolNET/RhestrEitem.aspx?iaith=en&rhif_archif=12&rhif_rhiant=78719&maint_testun=100&cyferbyniad=

SALE CATALOGUE of Treborth Hall Estate, Bangor.

----------------1940s-----------------

John Davies, Boston Lincs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/bangor_life/pages/wartime_memories.shtml

Our family moved to Bangor in 1940, my father worked for the Liverpool Victoria approved soc who rented Treborth Hall for the duration of the war. we lived at Gwenalt and the garden ran to the railway embankment. steam engines numbers was our hobby. it was a very busy station and yards.

i remember the yanks marching up the road from the station and i said 'any gum chum' and a guy said no but i have some candy.

the horses used to come from the station in strings of about 10 on way to the horse fair at menai bridge, the ferry used to go from the end of the pi! er when the tide was low so we had to walk a long way to board it. the flying boats were moored in the straits and the conway training ship was also there but was destroyed by fire.

my sister was 4 years older than me and took me to sat pictures and trips to bangor mountain, which often was on fire due to children setting the gorse alight.

we returned to Croydon after the war but sadly my nephew and i will in a couple of weeks make the final journey to Menai Bridge to scatter my sister's ashes where she and i spent many happy time togther during the war.
Wed Apr 9 12:13:42 2008

---------------1947-------------------------

Electrical Times, Volume 112
http://books.google.co.uk/books?ei=bPE5TPeMO-K0nAe0rviNBA&ct=result&id=Br0mAQAAIAAJ&dq=%22treborth+hall%22&q=%22treborth+hall%22#search_anchor

1947
EC propose to convert Treborth Hall into a school, at an estimated cost of approximately £15000

-------------------1949--------------------------

Electrical Times, Volume 145
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hkkPAQAAIAAJ&q=%22treborth+hall%22&dq=%22treborth+hall%22&hl=en&ei=bPE5TPeMO-K0nAe0rviNBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFEQ6AEwCQ

1949
Alterations at Treborth Hall (£14827); HE Williams, 42 Glanrafon Bangor. Caernarvon

--------------------------------------1950s > 2010s-------

Now part of Ysgol Coed Menai Residential School (below is from their latest Prospectus)
http://www.coedmenai.gwynedd.sch.uk

Introduction

The special bilingual school at Coed Menai provides daily education for 45 pupils aged between 9-16 who have social, emotional and behavioural difficulties.

The school’s location

The school is situated in forty acres of grazing land and woodland on the banks of the Menai Straits in a pleasant spot between both bridges leading to the Isle of Anglesey.  The school was established in 1950 in a large mansion, the former home of the Davies family,  a sea captain from the town of Menai Bridge.

The old mansion contains a kitchen and dining room, offices,  medical room, lounge, art and craft rooms, music, sports and outdoor activities equipment store-room.  On the first floor, there are a number of rooms that were formerly bed rooms who now have a new diverse function daily in school. Arrangements. The upper floor is no longer used and these rooms are not used except for those rooms for the storage of electrical equipment and former residential tools.

There are five designated classrooms and special rooms including a science laboratory,  a design and technology workshop,  cookery room and computer room.  Whole school meetings are also held at the hall which also serves as a  very useful gymnasium. The school’s sports resources extend to football pitches. The Horse-riding Association for the Disabled is located on the school premises and some pupils use this link on Wednesday morning to have the opportunity to ride the horses.

--------------2012-------------------

Closure of the School. (Gwern ap Rhisiart - Last Headteacher)
http://www.theonlinemail.co.uk/bangor-and-anglesey-news/local-bangor-and-anglesey-news/2012/07/25/treborth-s-ysgol-coed-menai-closes-its-doors-after-more-than-60-years-66580-31461030/
David Evans David Evans

Re: Treborth Hall

Hello Esther,

I came across your search for information on Treborth Hall and wondered if you had made any progress. I am a Friend of Treborth, and have some scanty information (Davis family bought the land in about 1867. They kept it as woodland and pasture (there is a so-called Donkey Field that was once open land), and built the hall. It was bought by the local education authority in the 1950s for use as a special-needs school.  As you say, it is in a poor state of repair.

This information comes from Nigel Brown (Curator at Treborth Botanic Garden), but I would love to know the history in a bit more detail.

David Evans
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Treborth Hall

The property is due to be auctioned by Pugh and Co at the Etihad Stadium on Thursday, June 12th 2014

It will have a guide price of £250,000-£300,000.

Paul Thompson, director and auctioneer at Pugh and Co, said: “Clearly this is a very interesting opportunity for someone as these types of properties don’t come along too often and I’m sure potential buyers will recognise that this could be chance.”