Thomas Elias Price

Hayley MacDonald-Jones Hayley MacDonald-Jones

Thomas Elias Price

Hi

I hope someone can help.  For a few years now I've been researching my family tree and in particular my great grandfather, Thomas Elias Price who was born on Garth Road in 1887.  before she died, my nain told me the story about how he went to Ghana to be a gold miner but was captured by the German war ship Moewe on the way home in 1916.  This all turned out to be true as I managed to find his name mentioned in an article about the event in the New York Times!

I'm keen to find out if it was mentioned in the North Wales Chroncile and I wondered if anyone could tell me how I would go about searching for the record?  He would have arrived back in Bangor in March 1916, just in time to make my Grandmother who was born 9 months later!

Also, my Nain told me that a section of the Menai Straits was named after him, Price Point.  I haven't been able to find out anything more about this.  Also, I heard something about a throphy or award been given to him by Dickies yard?

Any insight anyone could give would be gratefully received!

Many Thanks

Hayley
David Price David Price

Re: Thomas Elias Price

There are copies of the North Wales Chronicle at Gwynedd Archives Service (Caernarfon Record Office).  If you are unable to get there, the Archives Service provide a research service for a very modest fee, and could send you photocopies of any reports of T.E. Price's return to Bangor in 1916.  You might also find references in The Times and the Guardian (both available online).

I see in the 1891 Census that the family were living at 10 Upper Garth Road (parallel to Garth Road.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Thomas Elias Price

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
http://newspapers11.bl.uk/blcs/

...Are the online/digitised papers, the newspaper site itself only searches back to 2007. The archived ones are paid-for services and I think in one or both instances cover editions between 1800-1900 so wouldn't have what you're after.

Bangor University Library 'Stack' also has physical copies to examine.
David Price David Price

Re: Thomas Elias Price

Archive copies of both  The Times and Guardian are searcheable online for a fee.

There's no hard copy of the North Wales Chronicle for 1916 at Bangor University Library but they have it on microfilm.
Hayley MacDonald-Jones Hayley MacDonald-Jones

Re: Thomas Elias Price

Thanks for the replies, I'll get myself to either Caernarfon or the University library to have a look.   My grandmother grew up at 10 Upper Garth road and the family lived there since it was built I think.  We even called my nain "Nainie Garth"!

Thanks again

Hayley