Theatr Woolworths?

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Theatr Woolworths?

okay a borrowed idea to kick things off...

2008 saw the closure of both Theatr Gwynedd, and more recently, Woolies, both in their own way leaving a gaping hole in the heart of Bangor. Bangor now has no theatre or cinema, and is unlikely to get one for several years. With the recession, it seems unlikely the Woolworths building will be used by anyone else in the near future, with so many other high street buildings also vacant.

So, the idea is, why not use the Woollies building as a theatre until a proper theatre is ready (and until the recession is over)? See if we can put on a few plays and show a few films there at least.

Might not work, and I don't know how you'd achieve it, but I'm putting the idea out there. Possibly the building is totally unsuitable, but the location is certainly pretty ideal, and this would only be a temporary arrangement.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?sid=b73bc16dd8994c21055e5329ff41867a&gid=43434523459

We need to find more definite information about the current situation and plans with the Woolworths building, as well as what plans there are to replace TG. Is it true that Boots Extra are likely to get Woolies? We need to get better informed. Any volunteers?

Initial meeting scheduled for Mon Jan 26th at 5:30pm in the Harp Inn.
55bloke 55bloke

Re: Theatr Woolworths?

 I remember the Theater Gwynedd opening when I was at Uni in the '70s, and a lot of complaints at the time that the site would be better used by either the University or the Student's Union. I even have a pic of it somewhere with a For Sale board which "mysteriously" appeared on it overnight, having been obtained from some poor sod's garden!! Why is it closing?
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Theatr Woolworths?

I believe they've closed it because it was losing money and because they have plans for a new building to replace both it and the Union... http://www.bangor.ac.uk/artsandinnovation/

The old TG plans can be seen here: too:  http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/tg/index.htm
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

"2nd Meeting ("Theatr Woolworths")"

"2nd Meeting ("Theatr Woolworths")" on Monday, February 16 at 5:30pm.

Event: 2nd Meeting ("Theatr Woolworths")
What: Rally
Host: Theatr Woolworths?
Start Time: Monday, February 16 at 5:30pm
End Time: Monday, February 16 at 7:00pm
Where: Tŷ Gwydr / Greenhouse LL57 1AX (Group Room)
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Theatr Woolworths?

Looks like people are really taken with the idea of making Woolies buildings into theatres and spaces with social purpose... http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/ealing-news/letters-to-the-editor/2009/01/16/turn-woolies-into-a-theatre-64767-22708520/
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Theatr Woolworths?

Woolies is owned by Mason Owen who advise that the building has been re-let with a new tenant moving in in the next few weeks.