Pugh

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Pugh

I am researching my family history. My family were saddlers living at 212 high street, they also lived at other addresses before this. Their name was Pugh. John Pugh (b.1870) the saddler had a daughter Jane ann Pugh (b.1870 also called Jenny), she is my great great grandmother. Jane ann Pugh moved to Liverpool with her children, Kate Eleanor (Nellie) and John Nelson (Jack), her husband and other daughter twin to John had died. If any one has any old photos of the saddlers at 212 High Street or has any information about them I would love to hear. [212 is currently the Castle Bakery]

[copied from old forum]
Posted by Jayne Merrington 20/05/2007 0011
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Pugh

Edward Pugh (Saddler)
1) The 1851 census has the follow information:
237 Dean Street
Pugh Edward, Head, M, 25, Master Saddler, LAN, Liverpool, 37 Dean Street
Pugh Ellin, Wife, M, 22, CAE, Llanllechid, 237 Dean Street,
Pugh John, Son, U, 1, CAE, Llanllechid, 237 Dean Street
Pugh Robert, Son, U, 4m CAE, Bangor

2) The trade directories show 3 different sites for the business:
1874 212 High Street
1858/9 148 High Street
1856 148 High Street
1853 Dean Street
1850 Dean Street

Earlier directories for Bangor don't have an entry. But it looks from the birth place of John that it might be worth looking at Llanllechid for earlier history. 3) 148 High Street today is a public house (Varcity) built in the 1930's. The building which stood in its place before it is shown in a publication reproduced on our site. The picture was taken just prior to demolition of the shop for road widening. Before and after pictures can be viewed here... http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/dev01/sc44.htm
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Hugh Pugh

I am looking for information about Hugh Pugh born about 1795. I have a marriage certificate for Llanbeblig December 1818 when he married Jane Ann Jones, they had a son called Edward Pugh the saddler in Bangor. Hugh Pugh is listed as Capt. Hugh Pugh but can only find him with a wife called Catherine in Llanidan on the census. Does any one know if he might have remarried or if Jane died. He is also known as Fflat Huw Puw. Parish records in the national library are incomplete. Can anyone help solve this? I would like to know.

Posted by Jayne Merrington 16/08/2007 0015
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Pugh

Edward Pugh the Bangor saddler was my Great Great Great Grandfather. Ellin, his daughter with Jane was my Great Great Grandmother. She is buried in Nant Peris churchyard with her husband Thomas Williams (one of the very first Engine drivers on the Snowdon Mountain Railway). It looks like Hugh Pugh, (Edward's father) the noted mariner, married twice, firstly with Jane and then Catherine who he is buried with in Llanidan churchyard. Hugh Pugh is the subject of the famous Welsh language ballad 'Fflat Huw Puw.'

Posted by John Ellis 02/02/2008 0025
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Hugh Pugh

Does anyone have any old images of 212 High Street, Bangor..? This is where my Great Great Great Grandfather, Edward Pugh traded as a Saddler in the 19th Century.

212 is the Castle Bakery today, up by Alans Woodcrafts and the Welsh Bookshop

Posted by John Ellis 09/02/2008 0026
Davypow Davypow

Re: Hugh Pugh

I am also looking for information on Capt Hugh Pugh.

He was the master of the Flat Ann and was trading between Runcorn and North Wales.

I would like to find out if he had a daugher Susannah born c 1819 in Runcorn

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Hugh Pugh

Huw Puw (born 1794 or 1795) died on the 10th of August 1865 aged 70, he was buried in Llanidan church graveyard, along with his wife Catherine who died in 1872 aged 80, and his daughter Margaret who died earlier in 1861 aged 28. John PUGH, his son, drowned near Beaumaris August 15th 1845 aged 18 years and is buried at Penmon. Puw had five children in total, although the names are escaping me at the moment.

Puw Captained the Flat ANN which was wrecked on St Tudwal's Islands in October 1858 while bound for Barmouth with a cargo of timber. Puw survived retiring to Caernarfon then Llanidan. I'm not sure how strong his Bangor connections were.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Hugh Pugh

We have found out Hugh Pughs sons and daughters, There were two marriages. Jane Ann pugh died and is burried in Glanadda, Catherine is wife number two. I did not know about John but as there are few records to go on it is not surprising, perhaps you could let me know were the info came for on John.

As for the request from the Runcorn/ Frodsham area, I can confirm that the name of the fflat is right and in the right area. Hugh Pugh was a bit of a character and a womaniser by all accounts. I have no details for Suzzanah, perhaps again you could send info. for me to check. It would not be impossible to be related, the birth appears to be a year or so before his marriage.

I have not found the parents of Hugh Pugh, so any additional info. would be appreciated as well as any on the Bangor connection (eldesty son Edward became the saddler).

Jaye
Valerie Powls Valerie Powls

Re: Hugh Pugh

I am sorry to have to explain but you have two different Hugh Pughs here. Hugh Pugh of the Fflat Anne was married to Catherine also called Pugh in Liverpool in 1823. They had five children all born in Liverpool. Hugh Pugh was my grandmother's grandfather. His widow Catherine lived with my grandmother and her family in Caernarvon until she died. My sister and I wrote an article in Maritime Wales 1994 No 16, "A century of Welsh Sail with Hugh Pugh and Son" which tells more about the family.

As for the Susannah Pugh born in Liverpool but lived later in Runcorn and then Seacombe, I had an idea that she and her family may have been related to Hugh's wife Catherine but I have not been able to prove anything.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Pugh

A Victorian martingale stamped with the saddlers name E Pugh, Bangor.(although it`s stamped upside down) which dates it to around the 1850s 70s when he was working in Bangor.The end of the martingale has been cut off best seen in photograph 4,and two small nail holes in the bottom of the leather(seen in photograph 2)and one spike missing from the bottom shield brass. The backs of the brasses don`t have the dark patina you would expect if the martingale had been used daily,I would imagine these have been hanging on a wall for most of their life

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAMED-E-PUGH-BANGOR-SADDLER-VICTORIAN-HORSE-BRASS-MARTINGALE-/170720282927?pt=UK_Antiques_DecorativeAntiques_Collectables_EH&hash=item27bfb8c92f

170720282927