Princes Terrace

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Princes Terrace

This post was updated on .
Princes Terrace (53,55,57,59 High Street)

 c1883

 c1900

c1891

c1884

 c1888

# Pozzi , Griffith Jones, Coal, Ogden

1911 Census shows Mr & Mrs Evan Stanley (he was a house painter?) at No1
No 2 has 8 occupants being Mr and Mrs Hughes he was a shoeing and general smith. the other 6 occupant were borders (all female) 1 teacher and 5 student teachers

Ref Jewish business history in Bangor...
By 1889-90, Aveline Lazzarus (and mantle) at 1 Princess Terrace and Hannah Elias, owner of the 'Fancy Repository', 39 Holyhead Road, had joined Aronson who was now listed as a tailor and watchmaker.
Dave Dave

Re: Princes Terrace

I've always wanted to know - I believe the mosque entrance is behind that... however is that concrete building on the front actually the mosque / a part of it, if not what is it? it has been empty for years!
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Princes Terrace

This post was updated on .
I remember getting a takeaway from there years ago en-route to a Bangor City v Bangor University football match at Farrah Road. All I can recall about the match was that the University goalkeeper got stretchered off.

The Mosque website is here : http://www.nwis.org.uk/bangorislamiccentre

The site gives its address as No. 57 & 61 High Street, Bangor, Gwynedd, LL57 1NR (so not 59)

57 being the Princes Terrace part (non-takeaway), and 61 - a building to the rear, which as you rightly say is the main entrance to the Mosque.

There is a nice brief on the history of the mosque in Bangor as well...

The Bangor Islamic Centre was built by students of the University in 1981. First prayers in the mosque was on 1st Feb 1982. The Centre was then expanded by the students and local residents in 1985 and 1997 to become double its original size. The Centre is open for the five daily prayers and public visits by arrangement.

Looking around the net, this format isn't uncommon. "Most masjids are former terraced houses or commercial premises" (http://mosques.muslimsinbritain.org/show-mosque.php?id=36)

Dave Dave

Re: Princes Terrace

Thanks for the info.

So is 59 (the take away bit) a part of the mosque or is it just an empty building? because it was recently 'done up' a few months ago.

It looks from street view that 61 and 59 is connected somehow. If so this and 57 makes it quite a large complex!.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Princes Terrace

I'd only be guessing herein. As you say the extension to the rear, despite having it's own number (61), does appear connected to 59.

I haven't seen any plans etc to elaborate any further.

"Also known as, or co-located with: Manzil Bangladeshi Take-away"
http://mosques.muslimsinbritain.org/show-mosque.php?id=36

Manzil (Arabic: منزل‎, plural منازل manāzil) is the word for one of seven parts of roughly equal length into which the Qur'an is divided for the purpose of reciting the entire text in one week.... A second meaning is a set of verses from different parts of the Qur'an which help in curing or preventing Sihr(evil magic). The collection of these verses is available in booklet form from various publishers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzil

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Princes Terrace

George Henry Ogden the builder of Princes Terrace and for 20 years one of the relieving officers of the Bangor and Beaumaris Union was sentenced in February 1888 to 5 years imprisonment after he was found to be committing fraud.

A blind parishioner by the name of Ellmore complained about his meager assistance from the Union which appeared to be less then the amount he should be receiving. Following investigations it was found that he was one of many that were being given less than had been agreed, in fact there were even dead paupers retained on books of the Union. Ogden had stolen an estimated £1200 from the poor, no small sum. During which time he was buying and building properties and purchasing lands and ships.

1881 census:

George Henry Ogden
Head
Married