In 1898, when Friars School moved to a new site at Ffriddoedd, the lands were sold, largely for housing. Orme Road was developed. Hirael Infants school was established, and the houses east of St Mary’s developed as part of the Maes y Llan estate in the 1930’s.
The Orme road terraces were built in the 15 years preceding the first world war but despite modernisation since 1950, 10% were still without bathrooms in 1970.
A lot of the other houses seen were demolished as 'slum' dwellings, cleared between 1934-1939.
The first 5 houses on 'Orme Road'. The COPEC Seiriol Road houses were built in the foreground 1927
A step up from 101 (house 5 above!) and 99 not built yet in the photo
Pos. important in researching Orme Road
Uni. Archives
Alt Ref No SC/294
Title Particulars, Plans and Conditions of Sale
Description of the Friars estate in the city of Bangor, to be sold by Messrs. W. Dew and Son at the Penrhyn Hall, Bangor on 30 July 1898.
Date 1898