Major Hugh Savage

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Major Hugh Savage

Joyce Buehrens
Subject: Information about Major Hugh Savage V.D.

Message: I am a great grand daughter of Hugh Savage, age 80, lining in Sturtevant WI. I was born in Chicago to grand daughter of Ethel and E. Edward Jones. Ethel (or Ethyl) was one of six daughters of Savage., who also had four sons. I am especially looking for a list of his family, including any children, grand children, and later generations. My mother was Myfanwy Jones, and she married Willliam Staples Watts in Chicago in 1926, and had four daughters, of which I am the oldest. My sisters (all living) are Phyllis Gordon, Lois Mellen, and Susan Hatch. Mother\'s sister, Anne Hall Jones married David Kettlestrings and they had three children, Donald, Jill Amadon, and Robert, who died at age 35 of Multiple sclerosis (sp.?). There was a third daughter Gwladus, who married late in life, and had no children.

Several of us have visited Wales and the family home, Bryn Avon. When I was there in 1981, it was used for women\'s housing for the university.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Major Hugh Savage

This post was updated on .
 Bryn Afon
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/listedindex/1%20%289%29.htm

Dated 1885 and initialled H S. Said to have been built by Colonel Hugh Savage, a gentleman who retired back here from colonial service.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Gwynedd Archives Caernarfon.....

XS3910/1/5

Colonel Hugh Savage, V.D. (Mayor 1891-2)

... the 6th Mayor of Bangor
 and counsellor for the North Ward before that  being on the finance committee, the burial board, the general purposes committee....

http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/lib/index.htm
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Hugh was a bit of a philanthropist

Supporting the New Friars School Building Fund 1898
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/f2/s2.htm
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Major Hugh Savage

There's a Captain Savage showing off his dogs in the show in 1930, he's living at 21 Farrar Road.

plus other indications of dog breeding and ownership..such as...

...Although in the 1948 Directory it shows W H Savage at 21 Farrar Road as being a Vet
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/wales%20trade%20directory%201948-49/s5.htm
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Major Hugh Savage

2 sons died in WW1...

Edward Hugh Noel SAVAGE
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/cofeb/sc132.htm

John Frederick SAVAGE
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/cofeb/sc133.htm ... had been 'engaged at Marshall Fields Chicago'
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Major Hugh Savage

In Glanadda Cemetary there is a James Arthur JONES

In loving memory of James Arthur Jones, Retired Bank Manager, died March 20th, 1947. Also his beloved wife Ann Eleanor (nee Savage) died November 4th, 1948. Also her beloved sister Mabel Hall Savage, youngest daughter of Col. Hugh Savage, Bangor, who died Sept. 24th, 1959. "Loved by all"
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Major Hugh Savage

This post was updated on .
Title: Conveyance
Date: 31 December 1903
Parchment : 2 sheets 40cm x 26cm with wax seal and revenue stamps
PARTIES
Hugh Savage of Bryn Afon, Upper Bangor, Carnarvonshire. Brewers Agent
Catherine Richards Jones of 11 Mount Street, Bangor, Carnarvonshire. Widow.

SUBJECT
The document begins by reciting that Mary Jones, late of Bangor, Widow, died in 1894, leaving a Will which appointed Hugh Savage as an Executor and Trustee.

Hugh Savage is now selling property to Catherine Jones for £140. It is number 14 Mountain Square, Mountain Street, Bangor, and is on a plot totalling 96 square yards.

Also

The Bankruptcy Act, 1869.
In the County Court of Carnarvonshire, holden at Bangor. In the Matter of a Special Resolution for  Liquidation by Arrangement of the-affairs of Arthur James Spinks, trading as Spinks and Sons, of Nos. 9 .and 10, High. street, Rhyl, in the county of Flint, Wine and Spirit Merchant. HUGH SAVAGE, of Bangor, in the county of Car. narvon, Agent, has be'en appointed Trustee of the property of the debtor. All persons having in their possession any of the effects of the debtor must deliver them to the trustee, and all debts due to the debtor must be paid to the trustee. Creditors who have not yet proved tbeir debts must forward their proofs of debts to the trustee.— Dated this 3rd day of November, 1883.
David Price David Price

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Hugh Savage was born in Mold, Flintshire in 1850, son of William Savage, the North Wales agent of Messrs Allsops, Brewers.  The family moved to Bangor in 1853. Hugh entered the National Westminster Bank but after his father's death took over the brewery agency.  He was active in the local Volunteers, rising through the ranks to become Colonel of the 1st Cheshire and Caernarvonshire Volunteer Artillery Corps.

The family grave is in the central plot of Glanadda Cemetery, Bangor - a plot reserved for Mayors, Professors and other local notables:

In Loving Memory/ of/ CATHERINE LUCY SAVAGE/ died March 4th, 1905 Aged 58 years/ wife of/ HUGH SAVAGE/ died Nov 23rd 1912 Aged 62 years/ Also son of the above/ JOHN FREDERIC SAVAGE/ died on active service Nov 6th 1915/ aged 28 years/ and/ E. H. NOEL SAVAGE/ killed in action and buried at/ HARRISART, France, June 30th 1918/ aged 29 years/ Also WILLIAM HALL SAVAGE/ died May 6th 1939 aged 64 years./
  In Loving Memory of/ DOUGLAS SAVAGE/ 1905-1957/ ERIC HUGH SAVAGE/ died June 11 1971/ aged 57 years/ MAGGIE LAING SAVAGE/ died Feb 20, 1976/ aged 87 years/ EILEEN SAVAGE/ died March 19, 1973/ aged 72 years/ FREDERIC MCINROY SAVAGE/ died Nov 16, 1986/ aged 80 years./
  WILLIAM LLEWELYN SAVAGE WILLIAMS/ Consul General/ United States of America/ born Racine, Wisconsin/ 8th June 1919/ died Kintbury, Berkshire, 21st December 1982./
   In Loving Memory of GWLADYS ROSE  daughter of Col. HUGH SAVAGE/ and wife of Wm./ Ll. WILLIAMS, died January13, 1956./
   In Loving Memory of CHRISTINA AGNES SAVAGE wife of WILLIAM HALL SAVAGE/ died January 13, 1956./
   In Loving Memory of NORMAN SAVAGE  elder son of WILLIAM HALL SAVAGE/ died May 22 1943, Aged 40 years.

Note: there is an account of  two sons who died in WWI in a book 'Cofeb y Dewrion'/ 'The Heroes' Memorial' which you can read on this website.  Go to TOOLS & FEATURES > HISTORICAL SOURCES> BOOKS > COFEB Y DEWRION p.6.  Noel had worked in Borneo and John had worked for two years at Marshall Fields in Chicago.

Also at Glanadda Cemetery is the grave of DAVID WILLIAMS SAVAGE the elder brother of Hugh Savage:

In Loving Memory of/ D.W. SAVAGE/ of this City/ who died April 20th 1875/ Aged 26 years/ Also of GWENDOLINE  JANE/ daughter of the above/ who died March 29th 1872/ aged 5 months.

  In 1871, David W. Savage was a Bank Cashier, living in Holyhead, married to Jane C. Savage.
David Price David Price

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Oops! Hugh Savage worked for the National Provincial Bank
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Hugh Savage   51
Cath L Savage 53
Annie F Savage 27
Wm Hall Savage 26
Ethel M Savage 24
Lucy M Savage 23
Cath M Savage 21
Ann F Savage 13
Edward H N Savage 12
Mary E Jones 21 (General Domestic Servant)

1901 Census at Brynafon
logcabinladyz logcabinladyz

Re: Major Hugh Savage

I am the daughter of the author of this post Joyce Buehrens. My name is Eileen (Buehrens) Zirbel. I currently live in Wisconsin, USA.  My mother Joyce (Watts) Buehrens died 29 March 2012 at age 82. I am also researching our Welsh family heritage and would love to hear of any additional information about our Welsh ancestors... stories, pictures, interesting tidbits of information. I'm trying to go further back on the family tree with little success so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Photos attached... Hugh Savage Veteran, Hugh Savage Retirement, Hugh with grandchildren, including Myfanwy Jones seated on his lap who visited with Hughs' daughter Ethel from Chicago Illinois, and a 1938 postcard from Saint David's Day. E Arthur Jones with wife Ethel (Savage) Jones & daughters Myfanwy & Gwladus, Chicago, IL, USA, Dr. Edward Jones, father of Edward Arthur Jones

Volunteer

Dr Edward Jones
logcabinladyz logcabinladyz

Re: Major Hugh Savage

I believe son of Hugh Savage, William Hall Savage was a Veterinarian - Especially loved & showed dogs and horses
matt2 matt2

Re: Major Hugh Savage

In relation to the last post, have you seen this...

http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/dogshow/sc1.htm

Thank you, No I had not seen that yet. Do you know what the abbreviations behind his name M.R.C.V.S. stood for? .... ??? veterinary surgeon??
logcabinladyz logcabinladyz

Re: Major Hugh Savage

What would the initials V.D. behind his name stand for?
matt2 matt2

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Volunteer Officer's Decoration, a Crown honour or long-service award made to auxiliary army officers of the British Empire between 1894 and 1931
matt2 matt2

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Given the animal related link then yes it's more than likely he was a Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (MRCVS)

Given the obscure long abbreviation it is unlikely to be anything else

dougevans dougevans

Re: Major Hugh Savage

My name is Douglas Evans and I am the great-grandson of Col. Hugh Savage. I presently live in Cardiff, South Wales, UK but will shortly be relocating to Porthcawl,South Wales. My Grandmother was Catherine M Savage, one of Hugh Savage's daughters. She was, I believe, the first woman to swim the Menai Straits. She married Edgar Probert (also from Bangor) and they moved to Ton Pentre in the Rhondda Valley.Edgar Probert died at a young age and the family moved to Porthcawl - their home there was named "Menai". They had 4 children, Eileen, Louis, Hilda (my mother) and Rineira. All, unfortunately, are now deceased. Eileen remained a spinster and it was she who knew the family history and kept in touch with far-flung family members. I can recall the Kettlestrings visiting her around 40 years ago and I communicated with Megan Atkins of Michigan until her death some 5 years ago.
In the course of moving home I have found some old photographs of Col. Savage (previously owned by my Aunt Eileen). I also inherited a portrait of the Colonel which now hangs in the Officers' Mess at Maindy Barracks, Cardiff (next to a portrait of Edward, Prince of Wales!). In addition I have a picture of the family home, Bryn Afon in all its glory, complete with chimneys!
Another daughter, Lucy, married Ernest Samson and, having made their fortune in Shanghai, retired to Guernsey, Channel Islands.If my Aunt Eileen were still alive she would have been able to tell you the entire history. I can try to e-mail some photographs to you if you can get your address to me.
logcabinladyz logcabinladyz

RE: Major Hugh Savage

Hello cousin Douglas! It's wonderful to hear from you. I actually stayed with Eileen Probert on my trip to Wales in 1981, along with mother (Joyce Watts Buehrens) and sisters Nancy and Mary! I wrote to Eileen as a little girl and continued until hearing of her death. I always felt a bond with her as I was named for her.
We were close to Megan Atkins, attended her funeral in Michigan. I am still in touch with her son Tom Atkins in Michigan, he attended my mother's funeral last year here in Wisconsin. I also communicate regularly with David & Anne Kettlestrings daughter Jill. It was just recently learned that her younger brother Robert who died at age 35 of MS in 1981 had fathered a daughter. The daughter (Amber) lives in Florida with her husband and two children. The son is in the military and daughter in high school. That is about all I know about her but may have an opportunity to meet her in a few months. I have a few pictures of Lucy & Ernest Samson taken when they visited Taida & Naina (Edward Arthur and Ethel (Savage) Jones)... Ethel another of Col. Savages' daughters, and Lucy's sister. I am excited to hear more of the family history from you. I would LOVE to see any and all pictures you may have. Email [hidden email]
Thank you!

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 05:32:42 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Major Hugh Savage

[...]

http://bangor-civic-society-message-board-forum.2217623.n2.nabble.com/Major-Hugh-Savage-tp4400666p7572855.html
To unsubscribe from Major Hugh Savage, click here.
NAML
12