Major Hugh Savage

logcabinladyz logcabinladyz

Re: Major Hugh Savage

I appreciate all of the helpful information, photos and documents! Thank you!!

I have been told that Col. Hugh & his wife Catherine Lucy had ten children, however I have been unable to find any information on one of the ten children born to Hugh & Catherine Lucy Savage. Who might I be missing? I have the following data based on census records, obituaries etc. through the years in the following order;

b. 1873-1948 Annie Eleanor Savage (Mrs. James Arthur Jones)
b. 1875-1939 William Hall 'Willie' Savage
b. 1876-1943 Ethel Margaret Savage (Mrs. Edward Arthur Jones)
b. 1878-1959 Lucy Mary Savage (Mrs. Ernest Samson)
b. 1879-1945 Catherine Bridget Savage (Mrs. Edgar Lewis Probert)
b. 1881-1956 Gwladus Rose Savage (Mrs. William Llewelyn Williams)
b. 1883-1959 Mabel Hall Savage (unmarried)
b.           ?? * ?? infant ??
b. 1888-1915 John Frederick 'Fred' Savage
b. 1889-1918 Edward Hugh Noel 'Noel' Savage

Thank you in advance!

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Just had a quick look, this is the first thing that's come to hand...

North Wales Chronicle - Saturday 22 November 1884

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Major Hugh Savage

North Wales Chronicle - Saturday 26 May 1888

So, Charlie Savage (18/11/84-20/05/88) who lived to 3 years and 6 months is the missing child.

logcabinladyz logcabinladyz

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Thank you! Is it possible there were any other children who died as infants or young that I was not aware of? My family history tells me there were 10 children, this would account for the 10th. I never found any information on Charlie & wonder if there was anything that gave his full name?
David Price David Price

Re: Major Hugh Savage

If you search the wonderful findmypast.com, you will find lots of the  Savage family in Bangor, including in 1884,  the birth of Charles Edward H.O. Samuel (did he really have four names?).

I know that young Charlie was buried in his grandparent's grave at Glanadda Cemetery, Bangor.

David Price David Price

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Oops, that should read ...the birth of Charles Edward H.O. SAVAGE.

Sorry!
logcabinladyz logcabinladyz

Re: Major Hugh Savage

David Price,

Thank you! I tried that website but it seems you must subscribe and pay for information. Maybe someday I can do that. I appreciate your assistance greatly!
pharvey pharvey

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Hi Joyce and others,

My brother came across this forum recently and passed on the link/photo's to me. I am a relative of the Savages, Proberts and Thomas's and indeed we have several of the photo's on this forum at my parents house. I remember stories of my Great, Great Auntie being the first woman to swim the Menai Strait.

I also remember staying with Eileen at Menai as a kid - was it Severn Road or Southern Road? As a kid I was at the Primary school at the end of her road, and spent a year at the Comprehensive literally across the street. Before moving across to Bath in '81 when I was 11.

As others have said, Eileen was the one to remember the "Family Tree" - my sister has tried a few times, but always difficult.

Sid Thomas, my Grandfather (Mother's and Welsh side) owned the Sandville Hotel in Porthcawl, unfortunately I can't remember my Grandmother on that side as she passed away when I was very young - and we as a family had also moved overseas (South Africa and Zambia 1969-1977).

My father's side of the family is from Yorkshire, strong links to mining and my father headed Copper and Gold mining operations in Africa during the '70's. We then returned to Wales in the late '70's where he Directed a firm based in Porthcawl - later for which I worked for, travelling overseas and eventually opening an office in China

Would love to get in touch with those members of the family!!

Peter.
logcabinladyz logcabinladyz

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Hello Peter,
It is wonderful to hear from you, another direct relative! I am Eileen (Buehrens) Zirbel, daughter of the late Joyce (Watts) Buehrens. I live in Waterford, Wisconsin, USA. My mother Joyce was the daughter of Myfanwy Jones. Myfanwy was the daughter of Ethel (Savage) and Edward Arthur Jones. Ethel was one of the daughters of Col. Hugh & Catherine Lucy (Hall) Savage.

I traveled to Wales with mother and 2 of my sisters in 1981. We stayed a few nights with Eileen Probert, yes it was Severn Road, I remember writing her letters at that address as a young girl. We met some of the other relations and toured the lovely Bryn Avon, home of Col. Hugh Savage.

I have been working on our family tree as much as possible. I would love to connect with you to fill in other areas of my family tree. Any help would be appreciated.

Be blessed,
Eileen

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 8:47 AM, pharvey [via Bangor Civic Society | Message Board & Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://bangor-civic-society-message-board-forum.2217623.n2.nabble.com/Major-Hugh-Savage-tp4400666p7573303.html
To unsubscribe from Major Hugh Savage, click here.
NAML

pharvey pharvey

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Hi Eileen,

Wonderful to hear back from you - I thought being such a long while between messages in the forum, you would have lost touch.

I now live in Chepstow, Wales with my wife - my parents and majorityof my nearest family being in Bath/Bristol. We still obviously have family in Wales and Yorkshire who we still keep in contact with.

Would certainly love to know more about our extended family tree. My sister is the one who used to discuss the family tree with Eileen, so she will know more and I will ask her to forward what information she has.

Not entirely sure how this forum works, but my email is [hidden email].

Regards,

Peter

Peter Harvey
Mobile (UK) : +44-(0) 7740312398  | Mobile (Thailand) : +66 (0)806576069 | Mobile (Spain) +34 633927802
Skype: pharveycq

http://bangor-civic-society-message-board-forum.2217623.n2.nabble.com/Major-Hugh-Savage-tp4400666p7573304.html
To unsubscribe from Major Hugh Savage, click here.
NAML

logcabinladyz logcabinladyz

Re: Major Hugh Savage

Hi Peter,
I receive an email when you post to the Bangor site, so got your messages!
Your email comes through as 'hidden' so I cannot see what it is. I sent you an email via the Bangor Civic Society site which provides my email address.
Have a beautiful day,
Eileen

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:39 AM, pharvey [via Bangor Civic Society | Message Board & Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eileen,

Wonderful to hear back from you - I thought being such a long while between messages in the forum, you would have lost touch.

I now live in Chepstow, Wales with my wife - my parents and majorityof my nearest family being in Bath/Bristol. We still obviously have family in Wales and Yorkshire who we still keep in contact with.

Would certainly love to know more about our extended family tree. My sister is the one who used to discuss the family tree with Eileen, so she will know more and I will ask her to forward what information she has.

Not entirely sure how this forum works, but my email is [hidden email].

Regards,

Peter

Peter Harvey
Mobile (UK) : +44-(0) 7740312398  | Mobile (Thailand) : <a href="tel:%2B66%20%280%29806576069" value="+66806576069" target="_blank">+66 (0)806576069 | Mobile (Spain) <a href="tel:%2B34%20633927802" value="+34633927802" target="_blank">+34 633927802

http://bangor-civic-society-message-board-forum.2217623.n2.nabble.com/Major-Hugh-Savage-tp4400666p7573305.html
To unsubscribe from Major Hugh Savage, click here.
NAML

12