Is BROCK Herbert Leslie on the Memorial, please?

Tam Tam

Is BROCK Herbert Leslie on the Memorial, please?

A former school master in York, died April 1918 and I'm too thick to work how to 'interrogate' the wealth of names on the Bangor Memorial. Might he be listed? Could anyone help, please?

The 1911 Census tells us that HLB was at home in Tregarth, so I hoped that he would fall within the orbit of the listed fallen but Tregarth as a village 'sub-set' doesn't seem to be jumping out at me - or am I missing  a trick?

In case this helps anyone - we believe Mr Brock was a Master at Elmfield College, York from 1911-13. He is not of my family, I am just trying to build something of a record of all the lads who didn't return.

Thank you for any insights offered,

Tam Jackson
David Price David Price

Re: Is BROCK Herbert Leslie on the Memorial, please?

 At the North Wales Heroes Memorial, Banor, the names of H.l. Brock and J.I.B. Brock are listed among the fallen from Llandegai parish.   The village of Tregarth was in the parish of Llandegai.
Hywyn Williams Hywyn Williams

Re: Is BROCK Herbert Leslie on the Memorial, please?

Both Herbert and his brother Ifor are on the Tregarth Memorial which is on the gate pillars of St Mary's, the local church.

Google (images) 'Tregarth War Memorial'

Herbert is also on the Bangor University memorial which is situated in a corridor inside the college(which may be elsewhere on this site?)

Following may be of interest to you.

Herbert:

Nominal Roll of Officers and Men of the 14th Battalion RWF embarking for France on 1st Dec 1915 has 2nd Lt H L Brock of Tregarth. The Roll further states that he was transferred to M G Corps 9/2/1917 and subsequently killed in action.

Mr and Mrs Brock, Sunnyside, Tregarth have received info that their eldest son LT H L Brock (Bertie) was killed in action in France on the 10th inst. Lt Brock entered the University College in 1908 and remained until he took his BA Degree. He was afterwards on the staff of the Elmfield College, York. In February 1915 he joined the RWF. Soon after he was gazetted for a commission and saw service in France where he was wounded in a daring raid on the enemy trenches. After recovering from his wounds he transferred to the MGC and was promoted Lt. He was well known in the athletic circles being a leading member of the college football team of which he was captain. He was 28 years of age. Great sympathy is extended to the family in this their second bereavement. Their youngest son Ivor was killed in France about September last whilst their second son William is now in hospital recovering from an illness contracted in France. (N W Chronicle 26/4/1918)

( I assume you have his CWGC etc)

Ifor:

CWGC: Pte 267871 James Ifor Brock of the 14th Bn RWF died 2/9/1917. Commemorated on Panel 63 to 65 Tyne Cot Memorial (having no known grave)
Medal Card: Pte 16843 RWF later Pte 267871 RWF

War Diary of 113 Bde Machine Gun Corps for 22/7/1916 states that Pte 16843 Brock was sent back to base as being under age. (Was on attachment to that unit from RWF)

News has reached Mr and Mrs Brock, National School, Tregarth, that Ifor, their third and youngest son, was killed in action on the 2nd inst aged 19 years. A memorial service will be held at Gelli Church, Tregarth on Sunday evening (N W Chronicle 14/9/1917)

War Diary 14th RWF for 2/9/1917:
"About 5am Battalion forward command post was struck by a shell, and the wood work ignited. Post was evacuated but an hour later about 23 Officers, NCO's and men returned to it. At that moment bombs in the building exploded and the centre of the building collapsed burying all. Three officers were brought out, Capt Higham wounded, 2/Lt R Evans killed, 2nd Lt Poulson wounded. Seven men were brought out of whom six were taken to the dressing station and one died immediately. It is believed 13, including 9 signallers were buried. It was impossible to get at them to identify"

Their brother William (265435 RWF) fought with 6th Bn in Gallipoli/Egypt/Palestine and at some stage (after early 1917) transferred to the 14th Bn which was in France.

Hywyn Williams