343 High Street - next to Elias garage

Edward Dewhurst Edward Dewhurst

343 High Street - next to Elias garage

This building is causing me some grief on 2 fronts :
1) What was it historically ? ( late 19th & early 20th Century )  As a youngster the 2 old ladies who owned the garage lived here, but given its size and location perhaps it had another function ?
2) The plaque on the front I can find nothing about.

matt2 matt2

Re: 343 High Street - next to Elias garage

I'm pretty sure the WDA plaque arrived when the place turned into papillon - a restaurant run by the daughter of Mrs Donaldson (a student landlord and wife of Rev. Donaldson in Caernarfon.) I recall it had a large mural on the side. I guess  they managed to get a grant to develop the building.

On 10 Jul 2018 22:54, "Edward Dewhurst [via Bangor Civic Society | Message Board & Forum] " <ml+[hidden email]> wrote:
This building is causing me some grief on 2 fronts :
1) What was it historically ? ( late 19th & early 20th Century )  As a youngster the 2 old ladies who owned the garage lived here, but given its size and location perhaps it had another function ?
2) The plaque on the front I can find nothing about.

http://bangor-civic-society-message-board-forum.2217623.n2.nabble.com/343-High-Street-next-to-Elias-garage-tp7573555.html
To start a new topic under City, Buildings, Businesses and Land History, email ml+[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bangor Civic Society | Message Board & Forum, click here.
NAML
Edward Dewhurst Edward Dewhurst

Re: 343 High Street - next to Elias garage

thanks for that Matt - any idea what WDA represents ??  It's interesting having the "Tree of Life" motif.
So it's been a restaurant previously ?  That building sure has some space to it tho.
I will keep on researching - just a couple of troublesome ones left - maybe the census will help but that's for this weeks task.
Ta muchly.
matt2 matt2

NAML
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: 343 High Street - next to Elias garage

Is the numbering right?

The old remnants of online advertising suggest Papillon was at 347a High Street, I've checked and at least more recently the planning applications from the various owners have also listed it as being 347a.

It looks like the planning application for Papillon was in 2000 – Conversion of vacant shop into a café/restaurant on ground and first floor and living accommodation on second floor – Approved 09/11/2000 subject to conditions

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: 343 High Street - next to Elias garage

This post was updated on .
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/towntours/3.htm
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: 343 High Street - next to Elias garage

Valla's is 341 High St, Bangor LL57 1YA

So I guess 343-345 are the ones lost to the car park (nearest building).

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: 343 High Street - next to Elias garage

It might also be worth looking for "Albert House" historically

The North Wales Chronicle and Advertiser for the Principality - 1900

Edward Dewhurst Edward Dewhurst

Re: 343 High Street - next to Elias garage

Great info people - thank you so much.  Yes Matt it is 347 as 2 properties disappeared from the area between Union & James streets - I randomly gave it 343 till I found an old photo of the now missing buildings.
Bangor a High Street really is a challenge :) Half the "owners" don't even know, they just trust the postman.
Onwards I go with my researches - it's so helpful to know there is such intelligent support here.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: 343 High Street - next to Elias garage

The Auctioneers Messrs J Pritchard and Porter also advertised its sale by auction Oct 1900 at the Queens Head Cafe, Bangor giving a nice description of it's location...

1889 Town Plan