house history

yendor yendor

house history

we are looking for information on who lived at 258 Carnarvon road from the 1900s to when it was pulled down and what businesses where carried out from these premises
David Price David Price

Re: house history

In both the 1901 and 1911 Census, the house was occupied by Hugh Hughes, a house joiner, (born 1848 in the parish of Llanfihangel Tre'r Beirdd, Anglesey), his wife Mary, their two sons Hugh O. and Henry, and daughter Lizzie.  Both sons were employed by the railway (LNWR).
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: house history

have you seen the post

...Maldwyn born 1935 and Trevor born 1938 they then moved to 258 Caernavon Road where Iona was born 1946

http://bangor-civic-society-forum.2217623.n2.nabble.com/Jones-tp2223166p2223335.html
Hywyn Hywyn

Re: house history

Henry Hughes, 258 Carnarvon Rd enlisted in 1st 6th Bn, RWF on 4th August 1914 as Pte 1569. He fought at Gallipoli where he suffered from dysentery (many died of this). Early 1917 he was renumbered 265493. At some time after this he transferred to the Royal Engineers. He can also be put at 4 Menai Rd, Penrhos towards the end of the war. No papers exist that I can see.

Hugh Hughes was in the Royal Engineers, in the Railway Coys. His Service Records are to be found under his number 169138.
yendor yendor

Re: house history

Thank you Hywyn, for the information  this has now thrown another puzzle up as a relative we thought was living there at this time could not have been there
rod willis rod willis

Re: house history

Hi Matt many thanks for the reply as it happens Maldwyn and Trevor now both deceased were my brothers in law and the wife Iona is still going strong. Sorry about the late reply Rod
shamicbur shamicbur

Re: house history & family history

Hello Rod and Iona
I have been told that you are interested in the 'Burdis' family history - - (by Ernest Burdis) -
I tried to make a phone call but the number didn't go through so I did an internet search and it came up with this notice board so I hope that this message gets to you
I am trying to do a one name tree on the Burdis name -
I have managed to connect a few names but there are difficulties - and Ernest Burdis is a puzzle - he said that you had tried a few avenues and I have looked on Ancestry but not go any conclusive evidence - I wondered if I could chat to you a bit more and see if we can get anywhere with it
Perhaps you can contact me on michelle@microknight.co.uk
Thanks Michelle