Williams

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Williams

During the research into my family history I have discovered that in 1842 a business, Bangor Slate Quarry, was founded in Willunga, South Australia by a Mr Thomas Williams. Although I have traced records of two men by this name arriving from England, they were both from Cornwall – which casts doubt on the theory that they would name a quarry after one in North Wales.

Since my great-great-grandfather, Henry Williams (b 1818) was a slate inspector on Anglesey, I am intrigued as to whether there is any family connection between him and the Thomas Williams who founded Bangor Slate Quarry in Willunga.

Does anyone have information about any person who emigrated from the Bangor area between 1836 (when the first settlers arrived in SA) and 1842?
Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Peter Williams, North Adelaide, South Australia.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Williams

The Bangor Quarry appears to be very much a Cornish rather than Welsh Institution... which is odd.

Australian Mining History Association
http://www.mininghistory.asn.au/mining-heritage/south-australias-mining-heritage/

Willunga
Slate was discovered in the nearby hills in 1840 and led to the development of a thriving industry.  It was quarried by Cornish miners and carted to Port Willunga...

AUSTRALIAN HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY, 25, 2007
Slate, slate, everywhere slate: the cultural landscapes of the Willunga slate quarries, South Australia
SUSAN PIDDOCK
http://dspace.flinders.edu.au/xmlui/bitstream/2328/14593/1/2006006992.pdf

Bangor Quarry
This quarry was initially opened in 1842 by Thomas Williams,
although it is not clear whether he owned the land or leased it.
Certainly in 1856 the quarry was being leased by Messrs
Kernick, Male and Cobbledick. Experienced Cornish stone
dressers, they had been working a quarry owned by the Martin
family, but with its collapse, they entered a rental contract on
the Bangor Quarry

Death Record
Name: Hugh CHENOWETH
Birth: 21 JAN 1862 in Aldinga,South Australia,Australia.
Death: 29 MAY 1885 in Bangor Quarry,South Australia,Australia
Father: William CHENOWER Chenoweth b: 25 DEC 1817 in Lanteglos,cum Camelford,Cornwall,England
Mother: Elizabeth LUKEY b: 1820 in Tintagel,Cornwall,England

Other Useful Links

Cornish Association of South Australia
http://www.cornishsa.org.au

The Willunga Slate Museum