The "Green Building"

Edward Dewhurst Edward Dewhurst

The "Green Building"

Does anyone have any historical info on the "Green Building" on the corner of Friars Road and the lower part of the high street, opposite Friars Terrace ?    It is unusually large and "grand" and seems not to be part of the Friars Road development, perhaps more in tune with Friars Terrace and the grander buildings east of this point.  I am aware of the other properties related to Bob Jones and the old laundry, but this corner plot has me baffled.  Any assistance gratefully received.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: The "Green Building"

This post was updated on .
I've asked about because I have no idea but Sarah our chair does!...

Yes it was variously a servants registry and a factory, and there is still winding gear in the ceiling of the top floor of the Friars Road wing. At one point it was a crisp factory. There was no electricity upstairs when the Ty Gwydr Greenhouse group bought it from the Penrhyn estate  for £17K in 1981 or 82. I could go on!  - Sarah

More recently from their history page...

‘The Greenhouse in Bangor, a three storey converted shop and offices in the town centre, is probably more sophisticated than most but is an example of what can be done. It was founded in 1980 by a range of alternative groups – health therapists; the North Wales Naturalist Trust, the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament; and women’s groups such as the Women’s Enterprise Bureau, Women’s Aid and Rape Crisis. Between them they manage to service a £14,000 mortgage on the property…. One of the more interesting projects organised by the Greenhouse is the promotion of a cycle path south from Bangor through Snowdonia. The eventual aim is to link up with similar schemes dotted between north and south Wales to create a cycle path running the length of the country.’

Looking at Google Street view it appears 1 Friars Road was extended at some point to join the Friars Road Terrace with Trevelyan Terrace

1888

Thanks for that Matt & Sarah - most interesting, particularly as it was bought from the Penrhyn Estate.  It really is an unusual building, but perhaps that is because it's on a corner.  I will have to take a much closer look and see if I can get a peek inside.
Edward Dewhurst Edward Dewhurst

Re: The "Green Building"

Sarah, you said you could go "on and on" about this building - PLEASE DO !!!!!  as it appears to me it was there before Friars Road was built, thus my interest in it.