St Marys Teacher Training College Site

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

St Marys Teacher Training College Site

This post was updated on .

Guild of Old Students
Extracts from Calendar, 1977

Guild Prayer
O father of mercies and God of all comfort we bessech Thee to every member of this College under Thy constant protection. Let Thine eyes be open towards us night and day for good. Send down Thy blessing on the teachers and the taught.

Bless also those who from time to time have gone forth from this place, and assist us so to live in this world that we may hereafter inherit that crown of glory prepared for them that unfeignedly love Thee;

Through Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen.

From the President of the Guild.
14th February, 1977.

Dear Old Students,
It was affirmed by Samuel Johnson that "What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." I would hope that the converse of this proposition is also true, for the context of this letter is a demanding one, being the last contribution in a phase of the history of the College. There is pleasure to be derived from our conviction that we have taken the right turn at these educational cross-roads, although this is inevitably tempered with some air of sadness and nostalgia. At long last our scheme for our merger with University College of North Wales has been approved by the Charity Commission and by the D.E.S., and by the beginning of next session U.C.N.W. will have become owners of the College and be responsible for the phasing out of our present students.

The proceeds from the sale of the College will be administered by a newly established "St. Mary's College Trust" whose objects, you will be glad to learn, include the maintenance of services in our Chapel, the furtherance of the work of a chaplaincy at the University College, and the promotion of research in, and development of, religious education. This affords great opportunities for the continuity and growth of the Christian presence in Higher Education in Bangor, and for this reason we must not think of 1977 as marking the closure of the College. Our basic problems are those of continuity and not of closure. We have certainly emerged from the present upheaval in re-organization of the College much more favourably than so many other excellent institutions (including four Church Colleges) of which closures have been announced.

Our metamorphosis is not, of course, proceeding without its sorrows. "The course of true love never did run smooth" - this is as true of institutional as of individual marriages. We are conscious of the disappointment and anxieties of those staff who have not been offered permanent appointments at U.C.N.W., and appreciate the unwelcome shock when it is realised that no longer does the teaching profession offer the security that its members felt was always assured. But taking the long term view there can be no doubt that (with further substantial cuts imminent in teacher training) the College Governors are to be commended for bringing negotiations to completion by the end of the present session. No doubt there will be many aspects of the merger which those who attend Reunion will wish to talk about, but for the benefit of Old Students who will not be present I deemed it desirable to make this letter rather longer than it has been in the past. As a final thought on the College amalgamation I suggest that consideration of an analogy with the theology of Passiontide and Easter would not be unfruitful - sorrow and disappointment can be transformed in a new life by the power of Resurrection. So I am particularly glad that our forthcoming Reunion is to take place at Eastertide!

As our student numbers have reflected the national drop in entrants, we also find reduction in the number of staff. Last summer, Dr. S.F. Higgins resigned to take up a post as Health Educational Officer with Cleveland Area Health Authority; and Mrs. R. Blackburn was appointed to Stella Maris School, Llandudno; and Mr. C.H. Wild returned to retirement in Anglesey. At Christmas, Mr. J.M. Griffith left to become Head of the Mathematics Department at Ysgol Dyffryn Nantlle, Penygroes; and we also bade farewell to Miss P.M. Toohey who is now Headmistress of St. Thomas R.C. School at Goole; Mrs. B. James has recently taken up a post as an army instructor in outdoor pursuits.

Once again I must express thanks to the many Old Students who have written during the year. I know that I speak also for my colleagues when I say how welcome are these letters from far and wide, although this year the spectre of unemployment has appeared all too often. Recent reliable estimates have indicated that as many as 12,000 newly qualified teachers leaving colleges last year did not obtain posts. In these lean times even a distinction in practical teaching does not ensure an appointment! But I cannot share the view of those people who (generally with no experience of a College), proceed to infer that the years at College have therefore been wasted. The opportunities afforded here, and taken by our students, are (I would like to believe) significant in personal development, and elements of the training are such as can be transferred to many occupations, be they of a domestic nature, a caring service, or other activity in which personal relationships are of particular importance. I am encouraged in this conviction by conversation with those students who visit us from time to time. We are always delighted to welcome you, and my wife joins me in looking forward to seeing a large gathering at what will be an historic occasion - Reunion 1977.

With all good wishes,
Yours sincerely, F. Eric Clegg.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: St Marys Teacher Training College Site

This post was updated on .
St Marys Site (UCNW Bangor)

1 : Bloc A / A Block
2 : Bloc B / B Block
3 : Neuadd Barlows / Barlows Hostel
4 : Swyddfa'r Safle / Site Office
- : Ystafell y Porthor / Porter's Lodge
5 : Prif Adeilad / Main Building
6 : Asgell / Wing
7 : Y Ffreutur ac YGI / Dining Room and JCR
8 : Ty'r Warden / Warden's House
9 : Fflatiau 1-6 / Flats 1-6
10 : Bloc J / J Block (Bryn Eithin)
11 : Bloc K / K Block (Bryn Eithin)
12 : Bloc L / L Block (Bryn Eithin)
13 : Hen Campfa / Old Gymnasium
14 : Tir na Nog (Meithrinfa / Crèche)
15 : Bar / Bar
16 : Bloc C / C Block (burned down)
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: St Marys Teacher Training College Site

Pictorial Prospectus (early 1960's)
Photographs by E. Emrys Jones, Ingledene, Penmaenrhos, Old Colwyn