Robert Street Hirael

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Robert Street Hirael

My Roberts ancestors lived on Robert Street through most of the censuses 1841 to 1881. Does anyone know how I might search for deeds on these properties and others in Hirael? Any help much appreciated.

Posted by Heather 04/10/2008 0042
Heather Heather

Re: Robert Street Hirael

My 3xgreat grandfather, John Roberts, was a timber merchant living on Beach Row?Road?  Hirael on the 1841 census.  When he died in 1842 he bequeathed nine houses to his children and grandchildren.  They are numbered from one to nine but there is no road or street name mentioned.  However other family documents indicate at least some of the family lived on Beach Road.  Does anyone know if Beach Road was part of the Penrhyn Estate?  I would like to try to find out if any deeds or documents have survived from this era.

I live in Canada so on the ground research is not possible.  I would really appreciate if someone with local knowledge could point me in the right direction!

Heather
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Robert Street Hirael

John Woods 1834 Map.

The full map shows friars land to the left and Penrhyn land to the right. Beach Row was along the water front, Beach Road was the section from 'Castle Bank' down to where 'Roberts' Street appears to turn towards Beach Row

Hirael

The full 1834 Map....
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/i2.htm
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Robert Street Hirael

The tithe maps are the key.

The 1840 Tithe Map of Land Ownership
This shows the land as 'City of Bangor' not 'Penrhyn'
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/ow7.htm

Occupancy show rented land
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/ocup7.htm
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Robert Street Hirael

John Roberts...

Robsons Directory 1841
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/robson/sc5.htm

Pigots Directory 1835
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/pigot1835/s3.htm

Both have him as a timber merchant in 'Hirael'
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Robert Street Hirael

If anyone's interested also of note in the quest for knowledge is: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0b914af7bfccabfca2eda6f9eb7d9da8&topic=292458.0
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Robert Street Hirael

Re:
John Roberts mark on his will was witnessed by a Robert Roberts signature.  I notice that on the 1841 there is a Robert Roberts, age 60, sawyer, with wife Ann age 60 and son Zachariah.  I've found a probate/will for Robert Roberts, sawyer Hirael, also 1843 on the NLW site so have sent for that.  Ann Roberts, widow age 78 is listed as a House Proprietor on the 1851 census along with her son Zachariah age 36 Linen Draper at Robert Square Bangor.   Robert Roberts, sawyer and Ann Pierce were married by licence May 1, 1810 in Llanllechid.   If Robert signed his own will and the signature matches it may well be John & Robert were connected/related in some way.

The "Williams City of Bangor Directory 1846" has Robert ROBERTS as the only ROBERTS trading as a timber merchant...
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/hisso/williams/sc6.htm
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Robert Street Hirael

Heather Heather

Re: Robert Street Hirael

Hello Matt

Thank you VERY much for your help.  Sorry for the delay in responding - I don't get back to the site very often.  Very interesting to see the maps.  So if the land was owned by the City of Bangor do you think that there is a chance there might be some deeds or records of leases of land in the archives?  Am not familiar with what type of land transactions would have taken place in the 19th century.

Your website is a wonderful resource.  Many thanks for the hard work which has obviously been done to pull it together.

Heather
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Robert Street Hirael

Glad I've been some help!

The map directly above has a reference number which relates to the University Archives in Bangor.

Ref. in CV MSS.1199

I believe CV MSS stands for  ...  Carter Vincent Manuscripts

Records from the office of Carter Vincent & Co., Bangor, solicitors, 18th-20th cent.

University Archives (open to members of the public)
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/archives/index.php.en?menu=0&catid=0