Records of Illegal acticities

bmwnunkie bmwnunkie

Records of Illegal acticities

Would anyone know if there are any ( magistrates/assizes or legal ) records that I could refer to whereby I might find mention of an ancestor who attempted to commit suicide ?

I have reference to this suicide attempt in the North Wales Chronical. I am guessing that it would have been considered to be a crime, at the time, and I would expect him to have been brought to book in some way or other.

Does anyone know there I might look ? The incident took place in December 1828.

Regards

Nigel M Lane

Ancestor:- Ezekiel Lane

David Price David Price

Re: Records of Illegal acticities

Have you tried looking at the wonderful 19th Century Newspapers Online?  Look at the North Wales Chronicle (published in Bangor).
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Records of Illegal acticities

I've tried searching on Ancestry which has a database "England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892"

From what you've written I take it you've read the article concerning the suicide attempt. I've searched The Chronicle but can't see any further references to suggest any court case.

English law perceived suicide (and attempts) as an immoral, criminal offence against God and also against the King. It first became illegal in the 13th century. Until 1822, in fact, the possessions of somebody who committed suicide could even be forfeited to the Crown. Suicide ceased to be a criminal offence with the passing of the Suicide Act 1961; the same Act made it an offence to assist in a suicide.

So you are correct that an 1828 act would be a crime.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Records of Illegal acticities

Employed as 'boots?'