Pring

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Pring

Two family tree notes left in an old book about Bangor Cathedral

David Price David Price

Re: Pring

Hi Matt

I was interested to see this, as I've researched the career and family of Dr. Joseph Pring who was organist of Bangor Cathedral from 1793 until his death in 1842. His gravestone, which was in the cathedral grounds, has recently been placed in the floor of the Lady Chapel (south transept).

David Price
David Price David Price

Re: Pring

Was threre any other information with these notes?
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Pring

Interesting.

Sorry that was it in terms of material. The book was 'Recollections of Bangor Cathedral 1857-1880' by the Rev William Hughes vicar of Llanuwchllyn and Rural Dean.

The type to the rear of the second image is the first part of a letter:

The Vicarage, Penmaenmawr, March 1939 ref the Clergy Widows & Orphans Society Fund, forwarding a list of subscribers for 1938.

Only have the start of the letter, and it's prefixed with Sir/Madam.
David Price David Price

Re: Pring

Thanks for that. I hadn't looked at the Civic Society's message boards for ages and I noticed that no-one else is replying to messages, so I'll try to help occasionally.  For example, I have some info about the Savage family which I will post soon - but I need to double-check the family grave at Glanadda first.

Regards

David
Sorry that was it in terms of material. The book was 'Recollections of Bangor Cathedral 1857-1880' by the Rev William Hughes vicar of Llanuwchllyn and Rural Dean.

The type to the rear of the second image is the first part of a letter:

The Vicarage, Penmaenmawr, March 1939 ref the Clergy Widows & Orphans Society Fund, forwarding a list of subscribers for 1938.

Only have the start of the letter, and it's prefixed with Sir/Madam.

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Pring-tp3397482p4463982.html
To unsubscribe from Re: Pring, click here.

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Pring

Interesting collection of 'Prings' from 1851

128 York Place        Pring Catherine Ann Daughter        U 4          CAE, Bangor
149 Bulkeley Place Pring Elizabeth B. Grand Daughter U 12 Scholar MER, LLanfrothen
149 Bulkeley Place Pring Elizabeth C. Daughter        U 45 Schoolmistress CAE, Bangor
128 York Place        Pring Evalina Louisa Daughter        U 2          CAE, Bangor
149 Bulkeley Place Pring Henrietta S. Daughter        U 41 Schoolmistress CAE, Bangor
149 Bulkeley Place Pring James S.        Son                U 40 Organist CAE, Bangor
149 Bulkeley Place Pring Jane F.        Daughter        U 42 Schoolmistress CAE, Bangor
128 York Place        Pring John W.        Head                M 37 Medical Practitioner CAE, Bangor
128 York Place        Pring Louisa        Wife                M 37           Lancashire, Bolton
149 Bulkeley Place Pring Mary                Head                W 77 Organist Middlesex, St.Giles
128 York Place        Pring Mary Louisa Daughter        U 5           CAE, Bangor
128 York Place        Pring Rhosa G.        Daughter        U 7m           CAE, Bangor
Liz Liz

Re: Pring

I was interested to see that you have researched the life of Joseph Pring. One of my ancestors, George Fletcher, was a singing man with Bangor Cathedral choir and was involved, with Joseph Pring, David Hughes and Thomas Edwards, in a petition against the Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral with regard to the misappropriation of tithes from a number of parishes c. 1813-1816. I have a copy of the answer and examination of the Dean and Chapter in Chancery but it's difficult to decipher and doesn't mention the evidence against them. I am intrigued as to why my ancestor became involved and wondered if you have come across any further information about this case.

George Fletcher was a shoemaker who came from Oxford to Bangor in the early 1800s. He married Mary Edwards in 1806 and seems to have joined the choir around the same time. A Thomas Edwards witnessed the marriage. (I'm guessing he may have been Mary's brother but I have found two in Bangor in 1841). George and Mary had 12 children and both died at Garth in 1864. George was a member of the choir for 58 years and there is a description of his funeral in the North Wales Chronicle of 16th July 1864. I have recently found a death notice for George's brother Charles in Oxford in 1837. He was also a shoemaker and had lived in Bangor. What I don't know is what took them to Bangor. I have discovered that a Catherine Fletcher lived in the area in the early 1700s so wondered if they had family connections. Does anyone know of other Fletchers in Bangor in and before the early 1800s?

I live in SE England and there seem to be very few parish records available online.
David Price David Price

Re: Pring

I'm very familiar with the name of George Fletcher as some years ago I correspended with a lady from Cardiff who knew all about the family. Unfortunately I can't lay my hands on her notes at present, but when I do I'll give you the details.   Meanwhile here's some background to the story.

Dr Joseph Pring was born in London and was a chorister at St Paul's Cathedral before being appointed organist of Bangor Cathedral in 1793 at the age of 17.  As the population of Bangor increased rapidly in the early 19th century, the Dean and Chapter were anxious to increase the seating accomodation in the cathedral - or possibly build a new parish church.  They planned to pay for this by using part of the tithes of Llandinam parish, which had previously been used to pay the organist and choir. In 1811 Dr Pring and four of the singing men ('lay-clerks') including George Fletcher and Thomas Edwards, petitioned against this move, fearing it would result in a loss of income. The dispute was referred to the Archbishop of Canterbury and then to the Court of Chancery where it was eventually settled in 1819.

That's just a brief summary of long and complex story.  If you need to know more, the legal proceedings were published in 1819 - I have a copy - you would find it at a good library, e.g. the British Library, but you would't learn anything new about Geo. Fletcher.  There's an excellent article  'Dr Pring & the Tithes of Llandinam' by O.W. Jones in Musical Times, May 1973, pp 529-531 - also see M.L. Clarke, 'Bangor Cathedral' (1969) pp 63-79.

There was a Fletcher family at Treborth Isa, Bangor, a lesser-gentry family,  from the 16th century
onwards, but I doubt if there's any link with the Oxford Fletchers. I suspect that George came here to sing at the cathedral - Dr Pring had Oxford connections - his brother had been organist at New College.
Liz Liz

Re: Pring

Thank you so much - this is absolutely fascinating.

I had reached a brick wall with the Oxford parish records but it looks as if it might be worth me investigating the musical link with Dr. Pring's brother.

I look forward to hearing more about George Fletcher and his family.
Liz Liz

Re: Pring

Hello again David,

I have been investigating Oxford connections with Bangor Cathedral and found that Dr. Pring's brother, Isaac, was organist at New College for two years - he died in 1799 - but I wondered if you knew which college or colleges Dr Pring obtained his degrees from?

I've also found two Bishops of Bangor who came from Oxford around the right time - William Cleaver and John Randolph.

Regards, Liz
David Price David Price

Re: Pring

Hello Liz

Joseph Pring received his  Mus. Bac. and Doctorate at New College in 1808, but it seems this was done as an external student. He may have had  to attend some sort of interview or examination at Oxford - he had published a volume of 20 anthems in 1805.  Many of the Bangor clergy were Oxford men, so there would be much contact with the colleges.

I'm afraid I haven't found the notes I had on George Fletcher (it was over 20 years ago) but if they ever turn up I'll let you know.

Regards

David

Liz Liz

Re: Pring

Thank you very much for all your help.

Please don't worry about the notes on George Fletcher - if they turn up I would be interested to see them but I have found him and most of his children in baptisms, censuses, directories and the odd item in the North Wales Chronicle. The gaps are in his first few years in Bangor and then in Oxford so I'm going to follow him back there to see what I can find.

Kind regards,

Liz
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Pring

Liz can you let me know your email address so I can pass this onto David who would like to send you some Pring related information.

Thanks
Matt

matt@bangorcivicsociety.org.uk
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Pring

North Wales Chronicle - Tuesday 09 December 1845

Ha. I lived in Friars Terrace for several years.