The Caernarvonshire Constabulary was formed in 1857 following the Counties Police Act 1856 (The Act made it compulsory for a police force to be established in any county which had not previously formed a constabulary).
Gwynedd Constabulary was formed in 1950 from Anglesey Constabulary, Caernarvonshire Constabulary and Merionethshire Constabulary.
In 1967 it amalgamated with Flintshire Constabulary and Denbighshire Constabulary under the 'Gwynedd' name. In 1974, the Local Government Act 1972 created an administrative county of Gwynedd covering the western part of the police area. As a result of this, the force was renamed North Wales Police on 1 April 1974.
1. Records of the Caernarvonshire Constabulary
Reference code(s): GB 0219 XJ, XS/1234