Maps

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Maps

I was born in Bangor in 1944 and left to live in London in 1967. I am currently compiling a family tree and am trying to locate the places where members of my family lived in the Bangor area. Can anyone please tell me of a site from which I can download early maps of Bangor's street layout?

Posted by Bennie Williams 01/12/2007 0019
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Maps

I take it that you have the Alan Godfrey 1913 map? http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/caernarvon.htm Also presume you have the 1891 map from the Old Maps site? http://www.old-maps.co.uk You can download the 1891 map and they also have some other issues there though you can only view in a small window on the screen - or buy copies from them. If you are looking for old buildings then you might find on the RCAHMW site - they used to have large scale maps there (I think they are still there) and a database of recorded sites. http://www.rcahmw.gov.uk

Reply (Martin Briscoe 12/07/2008)
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Maps

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Maps

If anyone has any idea of where a 'Captain Johnson's map' of Bangor might be please let me know. It's c1850s and is mentioned in the CADW listed building documentation. Bangor University and Gwynedd don't seem to have a copy of it and I can't find any reference on the net to it?
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Maps

BANGOR AND CARNARVAN BY CAPT GREENVILLE COLLINS, CIRCA 1750

Edward Dewhurst Edward Dewhurst

Re: Maps

Re the above map - I have seen a full A3 ( or even bigger ) reproduction of this, AND the Woods 1834 Map in the PE Jones 1973 thesis in the University Archive.  They are in the folder of his supporting information of maps, photographs etc.  On the reverse they had been stamped "National Library of Wales" so I guess he got them from there - there was also a similar sized one of Captain ??  too.  I will enquire with the librarian how to go about getting copies, and let you know, IF your still interested of course.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Maps

Very interesting!! Captain Johnson's map has always been a bit of a mystery to me!!