Initials inscribed into stone of bible garden gate?

MPRob MPRob

Initials inscribed into stone of bible garden gate?

Whilst searching for further numbered stones around the cathedral area. I came across what looked like the litters I J inscribed into the stone of the gate into the bible garden.

Are these mason marks? Or something else?
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Initials inscribed into stone of bible garden gate?

Best guess here is a stonemasons mark. Given the font, relative obscure location etc. We know it was erected in 1812 by Bishop H W Majendie with ironwork by Mersey Foundry, Liverpool as the entrance to the Bishops Palace gardens.... but i don't know who the builders/stonemasons were.