High Street numbering

Edward Dewhurst Edward Dewhurst

High Street numbering

Now this IS confusing my researches !!!!!   It appears "sections" of the high street have been renumbered over time.  Early data has number 1 as being opposite the station, with low numbers proceeding as far as Farrar Road - seemingly numbered from rough west to east.  Then I find number 1 is at the eastern edge, where the Penrhyn Arms once stood.  The 1800's directories therefore become problematic in identifying actual buildings as they appear to use the "old" system.   Can anyone help in confirming any link between the "old" numbering sequence compared to the "new" sequence ?   As my work involves the historical use of the buildings, I have reached a point where I am no longer able to be 100% accurate in the buildings commercial histories, or indeed their original date of build.  The old "Wartski's" building is a good example as I have found 3 different sets of numbers for this building, which before Mr Wartski turned up, the plot was several much smaller businesses.    Any help in this confusion would be very gratefully received.  No wonder few buildings display their number, even the shop owners cannot be sure about the number they give me ???? It is only the Edwardian/Victorian original doorways that offer a decent clue, but despite what number is shown I have a horrible feeling that even these might be inaccurate.    Oh the delights of a high street that has changed so much !!
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: High Street numbering

I've come across this before, Wood's map of 1834 shows our High Street as 4 Streets (1) High Street 2) Market Street 3) Castle Street 4) Castle Bank), so at least you know where the High Street was roughly. The fact that period predates any high resolution building maps or census really does make the job difficult.

There is stained glass numbering to the tansom/fanlights of some building such as 'SAKS' showing it as 205.

... SAKS (or the preceding building) was presumably the start of Market Street in 1834. So you even have to be careful with those!