Garth School

Brenda Jones Brenda Jones

Garth School

Can somebody please correct this mistake re. Garth School?
The text accompanying the photo says it closed ca. 1946. Not so, I was there until 1964 and it carried on after that. I think it was transferred to the newly built Ysgol Tan-y-Bryn in Maesgeirchen. It's closure will no doubt coincide with the new school's opening. The text has been lifted from something put out by the College (tut-tut), and also some official County publication. Erratum indeed!
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Garth School

The text used in the Listed Index comes from the CADW listings themselves and as you rightly say they list two references. I'll try and research it a little more from other sources and add a note to the page by means of a correction.

http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/listedindex/1%20(32).htm
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Garth School

Yep, okay I've found other references stating it closed in 1968 too, when as you say the pupils were transfered to the new school which opened in Maesgeichen.

Ysgol Glan Cegin opened in 1968 and was supposed to last 25 years, but is still in use today - 2012.

The Garth School page has been updated. Thanks!
Brenda Jones Brenda Jones

Re: Garth School

No problem, but I have erred myself. The new school was, of course, Ysgol Glan Cegin (not Tan-y-Bryn). MEA culpa.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Garth School

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/ysgol-glancegin-maesgeirchen-new-5-2674824

MILLIONS are to be spent on building a new school in the city.

Ysgol Glancegin in Maesgeirchen has received £5m of Welsh Government funding to replace its current building.

Headteacher Bethan Morris Jones said the school, which suffers from damp and leaks, would be made “fit for the 21st century”.

The condition of the current building is such that a new school will be the only option, she said.

“The walls are rotting, the roof is leaking, the toilets are terrible and the building isn’t suitable for children with disabilities,” said Mrs Jones.

“The school was opened in 1968 and was supposed to last 25 years, but we’re still in the same building today.

“We need a building which is fit for purpose and fit for the 21st century. Whatever we do, it will be better than what is here now.”

The new building would accommodate the school’s playgroup – currently housed in a separate building – and community services, and would probably be built on the site of the current school, said Mrs Jones.

“Since Estyn introduced special measures we’ve worked very hard to improve things,” she said.

“We’ve made the most of the building we have and have tried to make it as pleasant as possible. The children here deserve every chance.”

A spokesman for Gwynedd Council said about £5m would be spent on the school: “The plans still need to be finalised but are likely to include modern facilities and an environmentally friendly new building.”