For Sale: c1890s "The Stranger's Hand-Book of Bangor and the Surrounding Country..."

Nils Nils

For Sale: c1890s "The Stranger's Hand-Book of Bangor and the Surrounding Country..."

I am a former student at Bangor University, and am in the process of selling some of my books. I would be open to offers on this item (nils_bhinda@yahoo.co.uk), which I would prefer to see go to a local resident / historian / enthusiast / collector. I believe it is rare, as I have not come across copies anywhere else. At the kind invitation of the Bangor Civic Society, I am therefore listing it here for a couple of weeks, before I list it on various book collectors' websites. There is a detailed description below, but please contact me in case of any questions.

"The Stranger's Hand-Book of Bangor and the Surrounding Country Containing a Description of the Tubular and Suspension Bridges, Penrhyn Castle, Beaumaris, Carnarvon, an Ascent of Snowdon, and Other Objects of Interest worth Visiting; and Pointing Out a Series of One day Trips through Some of the Most Picturesque Scenery in Carnarvonshire, With Directions How to Proceed at the Least Possible Expense and Loss of Time."

No date (c1890),
Bangor: Nixon & Jarvis.

The book has 84 pages + 4 full page engravings + 12 pages of advertisements at the end. Details follow below the photos.

Front cover
Opening pages for Bangor section

CONTENTS:
Preface / Introduction / Brief History of Wales / Music / Wales: extent, population, rivers / Carnarvonshire (sic) / The Welsh Alphabet / Welsh Glossary / Welsh Vocabulary / Modes of Travelling / Cabs and Pleasure Boats / Bangor / Plants / Garth Point - Port Penrhyn / Penrhyn Castle / Llandegai / Glan Ogwen / Penrhyn Slate Quarries / Pass of Nant Francon / Ogwen Lake / Plants / Ferns / Capel Curig / Bettws-y-coed  / The Brittainnia Tubular Bridge / Menai Suspension Bridge / Beaumaris / Puffin Island / Carnarvon / Llanberis / Ascent of Snowdon / Pass of Llanberis / Beddgelert / Aber / Penmaenmawr.

PLATES:
The 4 plates are of: Bangor (which also features on the cover - see photos) / Ogwen Lake / Menai Suspension and Tubular Bridges / Snowdon & Llanberis Lakes.

ADVERTISEMENTS:
All the advertisements are for businesses local to the area, including details of services offered, proprietors, and a couple include fine engravings. These include: L.W. Timothy & Son / E.R. Thomas / J. Pritchard - 2 adverts - one as butcher, one as Inn / Nixon & Jarvis (2 adverts) / Penrhyn Arms Hotel / Anglesey Arms Hotel / Alexandra Dining Rooms / Boston's The Prince of Wales Commercial Hotel and Refreshment Rooms / Castle Family and Commercial Hotel / Griffith's Prince Albert Family and Commercial Hotel / The Old Vaults / Bulkeley Arms Hotel / R. Williams's Temperance Hotel.

CONDITION:
Given its ephemerality, I would say the book has survived remarkably well with its original wraps, and remains attractive with clear signs of wear and use which are hopefully evident from the photos. The pages to the guide are lightly tanned with occasional light foxing. The wraps and advertising pages probably printed on a different paper, are a little more tanned.