Fiddlers dram - day trip to bangor 1979

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Fiddlers dram - day trip to bangor 1979

This post was updated on .

I don't recognise the buildings in the background. Is this them before leaving to go to bangor?!

It would be a fair assumption to make that the song was inspired by a day trip the song's writer, Whitstable Folk Club regular Debbie Cook, made to the North Welsh coastal town of Bangor. However, "Daytrip's" origins actually lay in a visit Cook made to Rhyl, a seaside resort 35 miles east of Bangor. Fiddle and concertina player Ian Telfer explained to Mojo magazine January 2010 that Bangor was chosen as it slipped off the tongue easier: "She was originally thinking of Rhyl, the resort, not Bangor," he said. "But clearly Rhyl has got no scan. The mayor of Bangor was a bit perplexed when it was a hit, but they were quite happy to accept the publicity."

-------------------------------------

Didn`t we have a lovely time the day we went to Bangor
 A beautiful day, we had lunch on the way and all for under a pound you know
 But on the way back I cuddled with Jack and we opened a bottle of cider
 Singing a few of our favourite songs as the wheels went around

 Do you recall the thrill of it all as we walked along the sea grand
 Then on the sand we heard a brass band that played the Diddlely-Bump-Terrara
 Elsie and me had one cup of tea then we took a Paddler boat out
 Splashing away as we sat on the bay and the wheels went `round

 Didn`t we have a lovely time the day we went to Bangor
 A beautiful day, we had lunch on the way and all for under a pound you know
 But on the way back I cuddled with Jack and we opened a bottle of cider
 Singing a few of our favourite songs as the wheels went around

 Wasn`t it nice, eating chocolate ice as we strolled around the fun-fair
 Then we ate eels in big ferris wheels as we sailed around the ground but then
 We had to be quick `cause Elsie felt sick and we had to find somewhere to take her
 I said to her lad, what made her feel bad was the wheel going `round

 Didn`t we have a lovely time the day we went to Bangor
 A beautiful day, we had lunch on the way and all for under a pound you know
 But on the way back I cuddled with Jack and we opened a bottle of cider
 Singing a few of our favourite songs as the wheels went around

 Elsie and me, we finished our tea and said goodbye to the seaside
 Got on the bus, Flo said to us, oh isn`t it a shame to go
 Wouldn`t it be grand to have cash on demand and to live like this for always
 Oh it makes me feel ill, when I think of the mill and the wheels goin` `round
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Fiddlers dram - day trip to bangor 1979

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Fiddlers dram - day trip to bangor 1979