Rare collection of ink and pencil ship drawings of Bangor based vessels
Launched: Thursday, 01/07/1897 by Anglesey Shipping Company (Owen T. Jones), Port Penrhyn and later (1911) by Baron Penrhyn. A 180 feet Coaster. She sunk and then was scrapped 04/09/1925
Mary B Mitchell
Mary B Mitchell was built by Paul Rogers in 1892 at Carrickfergus, as a three-masted topsail schooner. She started her career exporting slate from North Wales to Hamburg. She was owned by Lord Penrhyn and served for a period as a yacht, before being put to work as a coaster, transporting china clay from Cornwall. In 1916 three Arklow schooners were requisitioned by the Admiralty to be used as Q-ships, they were: Cymric, Gaelic and Mary B Mitchell.
She was put to work in WWi an WWII and stared in several films
The Mary B Mitchell is commemorated in Bangor by a memorial plaque and a bronze weather vane which adorns the city’s Deiniol shopping precinct. It was designed and made by Ann Catrin Evans and Roger Wyn Evans. The plaque gives a brief account of the ships history, while the weather vane depicts her in silhouette.
Built in 1892 by Scotts Bowling, owned c1894 by Anglesey Shipping Company and c1911 by Baron Penrhyn as a 120 ft cargo vessel. She was struck by a torpedo & sunk - 07/06/1943 (under ownership to South Africans).
SS Sybil Mary
Built in 1921 as a 130ft coaster by Scott Bowling. Owned 1921 - 1938 Penrhyn Quarries, 1938 - 1952 Anglesey Shipping Co Ltd, 1952 - 1954 Penrhyn Quarries Ltd London, 1954 - 1955 Dinorwic Slate Quarries Ltd Pt Dinorwic . She was scrapped 12/03/1955.
The British steam cargo ship Pamela, built in 1921 by Scott & Sons and owned at the time of her loss by the Anglesey Shipping Co. Ltd (Baron Penhryn) was on a voyage from Sharpeness to Liverpool, when she sank in the Irish Sea 10/10/1944.