Council/Business Records

bmwnunkie bmwnunkie

Council/Business Records

Would anyone be able to tell me if there are any council or business records that would exist around the time 1813 - 1835? If so, how and where would I be able to view them.

The reason is is that I am trying to close a gap, relating to a missing ancestor, within this period of time.

Alternatively, would anyone be able to put me in touch with a local, provate, geneologist, who would be able to undertake some research on my behalf?

REgards

Nigel M Lane
David Price David Price

Re: Council/Business Records

Can you give us a few more details such as the name and occupation of your ancestor, then we can try to point you in the right direction?  The Parish Registers are at Caernarfon Record Office.
Nigel Lane Nigel Lane

Re: Council/Business Records

Many thanks for your swift reply.

My ancestors name was Ezekiel/Esekiel Lane.

He was born in Astley ( Worcestershire C1789 ), Married Astley C1809, last recorded in Worcestershire C1810, then goes missing until......

First official recorded re-appearance in Bangor ( Pigots Business Directory ) in 1835 as a hairdresser           ( James Street, Bangor ) and he also appears in the 1841 & 1851 census, also as a hairdresser. He dies in 1861 but before the 1861 census takes place.

I have a reference to this ancestor from a record of marriage applications I found in the Welsh National Library ( LANE, Esekiel, bach., joiner, Deneio, CAE.  1813, May 7.  At D.  Lowry Jones.  A,B.  46/89. ).

This is almost certainly my ancestor, but confusion reigns as although he is referred to in the above record there is no record of marriage, relating to him, subsequently to this date. This said he is recorded in the various census as is referred to in the above , having a wife ( Laura/Lowry ) and also having a daughter     ( Elizabeth ) who appears to have been born C1821 if the 1841 census is correct. This is all very strange as he was, unless I am very much mistaken, still married and also, somehow he was a long way from home.

I am attempting to establish if he did, indeed, marry Lowry/Laura Jones( albeit bigamistically ) and also if he had a daughter as recorded in the 1841 census.

It would also be nice to find some kind of record(s) of him in the period 1813 - 1835/1841. I was thinking, maybe council or business records for the period ( as he clearly had some kind of business ). Ultimately it would be absolutely marvellous to find out how he came to be there in the first place.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Kind Regards

Nigel M Lane

David Price David Price

Re: Council/Business Records

They must have been married at Pwllheli which is in the ancient parish of Deneio. In the 1851, Laura gave her birthplace as Pwllheli.

I doubt if any business records have survived.  Have you checked the trade directories on this site?  Click on Tools & Features on the home page and follow the links to Directories.

I've had a quick look at the Bangor paper the North Wales Chronicle in the wonderful 19th Cent. BL Newspapers website and found the following:

Bangor & Beaumaris Union - meeting of the Guardians [of the workhouse] - cheque issued to Mr Ezekiel Lane, shaving and haircutting, £1 - 3 - 6.

Nuptual Festivities [at Beaumaris after the wedding of R.L.M. Williams Bulkeley, the eldest son of Sir Richard Wilkliams Bulkeley]

Mr. Lane, hairdresser, was in his usual felicitous mood and gave several songs and recitations.

[But was this Ezekiel or another member of the family?]

On the 16th inst at the Union House [workhouse] in this city, aged 74, Mr.Ezekiel Lane, barber and hairdresser.

[Was he an inmate or did he die whilst working there?  You could order the death certificate]

Best wishes

David Price

Nigel Lane Nigel Lane

Re: Council/Business Records

Mr Price,

Many thanks for your, once again, swift reply.

Your help, particularly in pointing me to the newpapers archives ( which I had no idea of their existence ) proved to be most helpful and informative and I thank you very much for this. Indeed, from these records, I managed to find evidence of Ezekiels only daughter getting married and, of paramount importance, to whom. Information, I fear, I would not have been able to find under normal circumstances, so your advice has proved to be invaluable.

Your inferred note of caution regarding Mr Lanes being referred to in various newspaper cuttings not necessarily being MY Mr Lane is duly noted and I am viewing these records with this in mind. There is a Mr Ezekiel Lane, Hairdresser and a Mr Richard Lane, hairdresser both in High Street, Bangor in one of the business directories; most of the newspaper cuttings coudl refer to either.

On the same subject but moving the emphasis, slightly, do I understand that in order to view any Pwllheli parish records, I would have to make a visit to the records office ? By this I mean to say, these records are not online ?

Once again... many thanks for your kind help and advice.

Regards
David Price David Price

Re: Council/Business Records

The 1871 Census for Beaumaris has Richard Lane, Hairdresser, Castle Street,  widower, 82, born Reading, Berks - was he a relative of Ezekiel?

The parish registers of Pwllheli are at Caernarfon Record Office - Gwynedd Archives & Museums Service provides an efficient research service for a modest fee.

Incidently, the parish registers of Wales are being put on-line. This is a big project set up by the National Library of Wales which should be completed within a couple of years.

Regards

David
David Price David Price

Re: Council/Business Records

I've replied to this in the Forum in case there are other folk interested.

In Wales, we can access the 19C BL Newspapers site for free if we have a National Library of Wales Reader's Ticket.  Many English local authorities and institutions have similar schemes.

Regards

David

Nigel Lane Nigel Lane

Re: Council/Business Records

Many thanks for your kind reply.

As far as we are aware the Richard Lane is not a known relative but it seems strange to have two people of the same English surname in the same place at the same time with the same profession.

Anecdotally Ezekiel was 'press ganged ' around 1810 in the West Midlands area. Never to be seen or heard of again. To the extent that his first wife ( Fanny/Frances ) was listed as a carpenters widow in a census. I cannot imagine that anyone would be pressed into service from 1810 to 1813, it seems such a short period of time. Personally, I think Ezekiel was involved in some kind of wrong doing ( in Astley ) and decided to make himself scarce. Ultimately it may prove to be an issue that I cannot resolve.

Kind Regards