During the 20th century, advances in trade and industry required an ever more highly trained workforce. In September 1947, driven by the post-war need for skilled labour, a so-called “Senior Technical School” for technical education and vocational training was founded in Bangor. Based in the old Community Club near the Deiniol Road Secondary School, the Technical College attracted students from across the counties of Caernarvonshire & Anglesey. Its success led to the construction of more permanent, purpose-built premises at the junction of Ffriddoedd Road and Elidir Road. These were first opened in 1957, with extensions completed in 1969. The College’s remit also expanded, taking in subjects such as pre-nursing, home economics and art alongside the more traditional core curriculum. More recently, the college amalgamated with Llangefni’s Coleg Pencraig, and the joint institution goes by the name of Coleg Menai.