Caemaes Idan Glanadda

yendor yendor

Caemaes Idan Glanadda

Are there any photo's that could be copied or information about Caemaes Idan we had an uncle Noel who was born there in 1907
I was born at 258 Caernarfon Road Bangor in 1946 which we believe might have been a slaughter house at one time any photo's that could be copied or information would be much appreciated
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Caemaes Idan Glanadda

Is this the same one?

Cae Maes .. is just field (field!), i'm not sure what Idan is? so the name as a descriptive isn't helpful
yendor yendor

Re: Caemaes Idan Glanadda

Hi Matt I dont know if you attached a google search to your reply but in reference to my inquiry it said that the land and properties known as Cae Maes Idan was valued at 700 shillings in 1837 and after a meeting of the cathederal board of guardians an offer was made by the poor law board and it was purchased for 500 shillings 1838 on the 8th of June the book was Endowed Charities and on page 44 if this item was not from you
Clockpostcards Clockpostcards

Re: Caemaes Idan Glanadda

I'm 99% certain the slaughterhouse was where the OAPs bungalows are now in Einon Road.
As the reference is to the poorhouse purchasing the land then it is more likely to be where the milkworks, then Quicksave and now a low cost store is on Caernarvon road.
Clockpostcards Clockpostcards

Re: Caemaes Idan Glanadda

This 1831 map confirms it was at least very close to and probably where the discount store is on Caernarvon Road
Bangor Poorhouse
Gwyncid Gwyncid

Re: Caemaes Idan Glanadda

I can render 100% assurance that Cae Maes Idan was the site of the slaughgterhouse when I was a child in Glanadda. This was situated directly opposite the Baptist Chapel in Einion Road, Glanadda. As I recall, large house located next to the slaughterhouse entrance was occupied by a lady with whom my mother was friendly. Whilst her name escapes me, I can say with certainty that she was once a leading lady with the Sadlers Wells in London.
Gwyncid Gwyncid

Re: Caemaes Idan Glanadda

The name of the house adjoining the slaughterhouse yard at Glanadda was named "Deanfield" and the lady residing there was a Miss HUGHES, who had once been with the Saddlers Wells in London.