Brynmawr

megan megan

Brynmawr

I wonder if anyone can help me?

My late mother came from Bangor and I'm researching her family tree.

Her great great grandfather was born in 1803 in Bryn Mawr Bangor.

Does anyone know which area of Bangor this is please?

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Brynmawr

This post was updated on .
Robert Thomas is listed on the 1851 Census (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CAE/Bangor/Bangor_Thom.html) at Bryn Mawr but it's listed by Surname not geographically - although he is recorded as a Farmer so possibly rural Bangor. (I'll keep looking)

North Wales Chronicle - Tuesday 19 January 1847 suggests slopping ground true to the name Bryn (Hill)

There is a Coed Bryn-Mawr (Bryn Mawr Wood) towards the A55

The house/farm names as they are today are all true to 1880s

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Brynmawr

This post was updated on .
Some references to Bryn Mawr in Archives...

http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/DATRhagorolNET/RhestrEitem.aspx?iaith=en&rhif_archif=12&rhif_rhiant=30287&maint_testun=100&cyferbyniad=

XD5/57

1. Rice Thomas of Coedhelen, Esq., eldest son & heir of William Thomas of the same, deceased, and Margaret his wife. 2. John Goodman of Porthamel, gent.. CONVEYANCE of four quillets or fields of 8 acres 9 perches adjoining Brynmawr, pa.[rish] Bangor. Consideration: £50.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=210-prob_b_10&cid=-1#-1

Griffith Richard  B/1835/72  1835

Contents:
Will. Inventory.
Diocese: Bangor
Parish: Aberdaron
Township: Brynmawr
County: Caernarfonshire
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Brynmawr

This post was updated on .
... but then again! check out this...

William Herbert (dec.) : bond, 1779
(Between Williams Thomas, Bryn Mawr and Griffith Williams Bryn Glas)
Bryn Mawr, Bangor, Caernarvonshire -  Yeoman (a free man who owned his own farm)
Bangor Probate Records, 1576-1858

Digitised version at the below links...

http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?sessionid=2013041809093208372&skin=profeb&lng=en&inst=consortium&host=localhost%2b9901%2bDEFAULT&patronhost=localhost%209901%20DEFAULT&searchid=1&sourcescreen=PREVPAGE&pos=1&itempos=1&rootsearch=KEYWORD&function=INITREQ&search=AUTHID&authid=7015360&authidu=1003

http://hdl.handle.net/10107/692600

http://dams.llgc.org.uk/object/llgc-id:692600
megan megan

Re: Brynmawr

Thanks for your efforts, do you think it might be up towards Bryn Glas and Perferddgoed.
My mother was brought up in Bryn Llwyd farm.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Brynmawr

This post was updated on .
I certainly don't think we're far off.

from this page worth reading properly and digesting what they're on about. (c1846).

ALSO

Farming in Caernarvonshire around 1800.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nzwlsfhs/cae.html

Some relevant "Bangor Parish" entries...

Tyllfaen or Bryndrainiog Mrs SAMUEL Widow of Richard SAMUEL occupier of one share
Tyllfaen or Bryndrainiog Richard SAMUEL The late – lessee
Tyllfaen or Bryndrainiog William SAMUEL Joint lessee – son occupier of one share

Tai’r Ffynnon Mr PARRY The late of Perfeddgoed

These were part of the Faenol/Vaynol Estate, no mention of Bryn Glas or Brynmawr/Bryn Mawr in that webpage as it appears to be under the Pennant/Penrhyn Estate and Mr HUGHES, but the article above suggests some confusion with regards subdivision of large farms to smaller farmers.

**** In summary *****

I read it that Bryn Mawr is in fact half of Bryn Glas which at some point has retained the Bryn Glas name, which would explain Coed Bryn Mawrs proximity to Bryn Glas. I think if you wanted to take it any further you would need to physically attended archives at Bangor University/Gwynedd (Caernarfon) to view estate records and rent books.

Gwyncid Gwyncid

Re: Brynmawr

Megan. I was interested to read that your mother was brought up at Bryn Llwyd Farm.

As a child (aged 8 - 14 years) I used to "work" there with milking and milk delivery with a horse and cart. A widow, Mrs Jones, ran the farm with her son, Gwyn; and daughter Eryl.

Eryl later went to university (Aberystwyth I believe) and I saw very little of her. Would she have been your mother? I understand that she passed away not very long ago.

You can contact me on gwyncid@aol.com