Boxing club 1960s

DianeE DianeE

Boxing club 1960s

Hi, Does anyone know if the trainer at the club in the 1960s is still alive,? H e trained Dave Davies and I think his name was Neville Robinson
Thanks
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Boxing club 1960s

This post was updated on .
Not sure, but this looks like a good bet...

http://www.soton.ac.uk/jobs/working/nevillerobinson.html

Neville Robinson - Receptionist

Neville is the receptionist for the Faculty of Medicine, Health and Life Sciences and acts as the first point of contact for people coming into the Boldrewood building. He connects visitors with the staff they are meeting, answers queries, and dispenses temporary parking permits amongst a variety of other duties.
Neville Robinson

Neville Robinson

Neville is the receptionist in the Faculty of Medicine, Health and Life Sciences

‘There is everything you could think of in terms of queries,’ says Neville. ‘Some members of the public might bring in a weird fly or other insect and ask what it is. They are so thrilled when someone from Biological Sciences can identify it for them.’ But the most frequent request is for car parking. ‘Parking is the biggest headache,’ says Neville.

‘First and foremost, my job is to help people. If I do my job right, then everyone is happy. I like meeting people. Without the students, none of us would be here. I like the hustle and bustle when the students are here,’ says Neville.

And there can be no doubt of Neville's popularity amongst the students.
‘I was in the School of Health Professions and Rehabilitation Sciences for six years and knew every student by name. When I left, three years ago, the students gave me a Manchester United jacket. Now, those students are finishing and some of them have come around to say goodbye,’ he says.

Neville was born in Bangor, North Wales. He took an apprenticeship as a bricklayer, married, and then travelled in his work for 28 years. As the General Foreman for Wimpey Construction, he worked abroad for 10 years in Nigeria, South Africa and the Middle East, mainly working on dams. In his last job before joining the University in security services in 1997, he worked on the Jubilee Line in London. ‘But when that job ended, I didn’t want to travel anymore. I wanted to be able to go home after work,’ says Neville.

In his youth, Neville was an amateur boxer who represented Wales. Later, he ran his own club and coached young boxers, including an Amateur Boxing Association (ABA) champion. ‘Today, amateurs have sponsors and get fantastic support through the lottery. We had to depend on the public houses. I’d go round and they’d set up a bowl on the bar and collect for us. They gave generously and that’s how we got gloves and equipment,’ explains Neville. Now, his hobbies include gardening and being ‘a fanatic Manchester United fan.’

‘I really enjoy my job and the people in the Faculty. But, retirement is my next challenge,’ he says. Neville has lived in this area for 22 years. ‘When we first came to this area, we used to go to the New Forest. I said it was like North Wales without the mountains.’

He and his wife plan to return to North Wales where his three children and five grandchildren live. He built a conservatory on his house here and will probably turn his hand to working on a new house in North Wales.

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Boxing club 1960s

Anyone interest in Dave Davies might be interested in this http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32857294708
DianeE DianeE

Re: Boxing club 1960s

Thanks Matt, but apparently he retired from there some years ago.
Di
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Boxing club 1960s

This post was updated on .
Watch this space, I've been in touch with his daughter. Good news too, Neville, in her words, is very much still alive and kicking and a mine of useful information about the boxing club. Can you send me an email address so that I can pass this on to the daughter (Mandy).

matt@bangorcivicsociety.org.uk

***********************

1971 ABA Welterweight Champion
http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=33046&cat=boxer

26 March 1974 — 5 March 1977 Light Middleweight
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Welsh_boxing_champions
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Boxing club 1960s

2 hits on Bangor AND Boxing in Gwynedd Archives, 1920s

XS3258/38

David Edmund Jones from Dean’s Court at age fifteen, posing in sparring position with boxing gloves. D.E.J. was a member of the Imperial Boxing Club which met in a warehouse in Drum Street, Bangor. 1927. Neg. Ref. 8/78/36A.

XS3258/11

Boys from the Dean Street area of Bangor, most of them members of the Chapel Street Boxing Club, at the bottom of Bangor mountain. David Edmund Jones is fourth from left, back row; John Jones is fourth from left, middle row. 1928. [See also XM/T/446.] Neg. Ref. 8/79/14A.
Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Re: Boxing club 1960s

Garth School was used as a Boxing Club after its closure.
http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/listedindex/1%20%2832%29.htm
DianeE DianeE

Re: Boxing club 1960s

Thanks for all your help Matt. I have loads of info. now.
DianeE