Bangor Railway Station - Transport Hub Improvements

Admin (Matt) Admin (Matt)

Bangor Railway Station - Transport Hub Improvements

£3m has been secured in a plan to develop Bangor Railway Station into a regional transport hub. The development is a joint project between Gwynedd County Council, Arriva Trains Wales and Network Rail. Improvements would likely utilise the brown field area west of the station and include include improvements to parking, buildings, accessibility and third party links (taxis, buses etc)
SidneyWhitaker SidneyWhitaker

Re: Bangor Railway Station - Transport Hub Improvements

Excellent news!  It's long overdue--one hopes the finance will still be forthcoming.  Difficult as access to the west side parking and passenger movement may be, it will be a great the benefit for traffic, human and vehicular, from and to that westerly direction.  It will no longer have to pass under the railway bridge, face two traffic lights and double back to reach the station.  This will, of course, also relieve congestion at the present station entrance.
   A wall along the "down" platform would also protect passengers from the prevailing wet and windy weather.
John Briggs John Briggs

Re: Bangor Railway Station - Transport Hub Improvements

About time too.  I really welcome such an improvement.  the current station, dispite it's regional importance and business, is utterly inadequate for the role it needs to play.  I often cannot get into the car park because it is full, and those silly fiddly car park ticket machines are almost the final straw when I am in a hurry to catch a train.  I have even taken to using Llanfairpwll station in prefrence to Bangor whenever i can because it is less hassle, and has free parking.   However the downside is that fewer trains stop there, i.e. none of the Virgins.

Sirling and Aviemore are similar sized stations to Bangor and it has been interesting to see how they have been very tastefully restored as part of their regeneration, including platform canopies.  I haven't seen the plans for Bangor Station but as at guess I'd say that kind of sensitivity and quality just wouldn't happen here?  I am sad to say, based on experience.  But at least if they give us some more car parking, that is a big functional improvement, so I look forward to it.

Matt Matt

£1.7 million Bangor station works launched

http://www.northwaleschronicle.co.uk/news/100827/-1-7-million-bangor-station-works-launched.aspx

A SCHEME to transform Bangor railway station into a multi million pound transport hub is underway.

Deputy First minister Ieuan Wyn Jones visited the station yesterday (Thursday, March 31) to officially launch the £1.7 million renovations, which will include a 140 space pay and display car park.
- -

Re: £1.7 million Bangor station works launched

Any plans/pictures of how the station will look? and will the entrance from station hill remain open, or closed off so everyone would have to use Caernarfon Rd?