Bangor Housing Survey Report 1926

Edward Dewhurst Edward Dewhurst

Bangor Housing Survey Report 1926

Would anyone by chance have a copy of this comprehensive report ?

I have come across just one page of it with an exceptional description of the poor housing in various parts of the city.  This report was no doubt part of the 1930's clearance scheme of the "workers housing" ( sic) which the Council then put into action.

I am trying here before I trundle off back to the Archive Library at the Uni.

Many thanks for any assistance.
David Price David Price

Re: Bangor Housing Survey Report 1926

This must be the Housing Survey that was carried out by the COPEC Housing Group before they built the houses in Seiriol Road.  You need to read the excellent article by Rose Pipes, 'Seiriol Road, Bangor: Herbert North's Model Housing, 1927' in Transactions of Caernarvonshire Historical Society, Vol 72 (2011).  Also Peter Ellis Jones's book 'Bangor 1883-1993' concentrating on pp.152- 154.

It seems that the records of the Bangor committee of COPEC are quite sparse, but if you're lucky, you might find something about the survey in the papers of Miss Mary Rathbone at BU Archives.  As the COPEC group carried out the survey on behalf of the Council, it might be worth looking in the Bangor Borough Council Records at Caernarfon Record Office. It might be listed in the Catalogue, but if not, look in the Council Minutes for 1926/5.
Edward Dewhurst Edward Dewhurst

Re: Bangor Housing Survey Report 1926

Thank you David, most helpful.